Dawoodi Bohra Forum: ON VENTILATOR

Report issues and problems regarding the Forum or troublesome members here. If you have suggestions and ideas on how we can improve this Forum/Website please let us know.
Mkenya

Dawoodi Bohra Forum: ON VENTILATOR

Unread post by Mkenya » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:46 pm

This form has seen vibrant intellectuals contributing thoughtful, intelligent and poignant opinions on various current issues occurring under the tutelage of the present Dai Muffadal and preceding Dais.

Those contributors were seasoned appraisers of current topics and made comments with rebuttals and/or insight with facts and figures.

Those were the glorious days when I looked forward to reading their posts.

Alas! Those gems have eased themselves out of the forum mainly because it has been taken over by people with shallow knowledge of Islam, its history, the Shia faith and Bohrism.

Humsafar

Re: Dawoodi Bohra Forum: ON VENTILATOR

Unread post by Humsafar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 am

You're right. Many of us have been lamenting this decline for quite some time. The way I see it, there are a few reasons for this.
  • Social media: Especially WhatsApp has given people access to all the information and sharing of content (including audio and video), it is easy, convenient and accessible
  • Mobile phones: This is closely tied to social media. Everyone has a mobile phone and it is easier to use WhatsApp and than a forum like this.
  • Noting new to say: We have been flogging the same subject for years and years, and the behaviour of the clergy and has only worsened.
  • Not enough time: Although it is true that a lot of scholarly discussion and heated debates took place, people seem not to have the time to indulge in such discussions anymore. And one of the reasons maybe (see next point)
  • Hopelessness: People have given up, realizing that no matter how much we debate nothing is going to change. People will believe and practice what they want to despite the facts and reasons presented to them.
  • No opposition: Abdes have stopped coming because they know they are in the wrong and they cannot hold a decent conversation with people with reason. Without the opposition there's no debate. What we have is likeminded people talking in an echo chamber, and it gets boring to say and read the same thing after a time.
I'm sure others have more to add.

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

It is with utmost regret that I am pulling my cables from the Ventilator.
It has been a very enlightening phase of my life.

Sadly, I depart with a paraphrased sher of Mirza Ghalib:

"Nikalna khuld se Adam ka sunte aaye hein lekin
badi khushian le kar tere kuche se ham nikle"

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 pm

Humsafar wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 am You're right. Many of us have been lamenting this decline for quite some time. The way I see it, there are a few reasons for this.
  • Social media: Especially WhatsApp has given people access to all the information and sharing of content (including audio and video), it is easy, convenient and accessible
  • Mobile phones: This is closely tied to social media. Everyone has a mobile phone and it is easier to use WhatsApp and than a forum like this.
  • Noting new to say: We have been flogging the same subject for years and years, and the behaviour of the clergy and has only worsened.
  • Not enough time: Although it is true that a lot of scholarly discussion and heated debates took place, people seem not to have the time to indulge in such discussions anymore. And one of the reasons maybe (see next point)
  • Hopelessness: People have given up, realizing that no matter how much we debate nothing is going to change. People will believe and practice what they want to despite the facts and reasons presented to them.
  • No opposition: Abdes have stopped coming because they know they are in the wrong and they cannot hold a decent conversation with people with reason. Without the opposition there's no debate. What we have is likeminded people talking in an echo chamber, and it gets boring to say and read the same thing after a time.
I'm sure others have more to add.
In the big picture, bohras don't matter. There is so much chaos and suffering in the world, where people actually want to be saved. Bohras don't want to be saved. they are happy where they are. Let them be. Who cares.

A Sunni friend of mine works closely with the high level clergy and has met the Dai and his close minions for the development projects going on in mumbai. He asked the minions why don't they ask the bohras to stop doing Sajda and kissing his feet which is unislamic. Guess what the minion said? "These people don't listen. We've told them many times."

When Allah asks the Dai on the day of judgment if he was the one who corrupted the bohras, he will turn around and say the same thing. But the bohras are too stupid to realize that. They will be thrown under the bus and in their stupidity they will kiss the tires of that same bus. Close this forum down. Start something different.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:36 pm

Salaam
Br Mkenya
You are right, I have not been on this forum for a very long time even though I have been in constant touch with many of the former contributors including some of the outspoken Sisters who have also given up on this forum
As Br Humsafar stated, many of the points he stated I share.
Besides those, I am very much involved with wider Muslim Causes
I will reveal my identity and organizations I am associated:
My name is Shabbir Motorwala and I reside in Miami Florida since I moved from India. I have left Jamat a long time ago but still in touch with our friends in the Jamat as I value their friendship and respect their belifs and they have left me alone. People have asked me how do I survive without Jamaat support in case of Marriage and Burial. Oh well I have now bigger Jamaat in South Florida which we collectively call
SUSHI (Sunni + Shia) and we live in harmony.
I am founding member of two worthy organizations and actively involved with both
UHI CommunityCare Clinic- a free healthcare clinic in South Florida providing free health services to all. To know more about this clinic
visit www.uhiclinic.org
Other Organization I co-founded and still involved is
Coalition of South Florida Muslim Organizations (COSMOS), it is outreach organization which works in building bridges between communities arranging Inter-Faith, Training Law Enforcement, educators and other. COSMOS is a total volunteer organization with zero budget and overhead expense. You can learn more about COSMOS by visiting FB page or looking at the videos on YouTube.
Again, thank you everyone for providing a great time and thru this forum, MET MANY GREAT PEOPLE WHO ARE NOW KNOWN TO ME IN PERSON AND ARE NOW WHATSAPP FRIENDS but instead of talking about reform, we discuss other family and wider issues. Some of them I met in person and some thru Facetime and I value their trust in me NOT TO REVEAL their Identities.