Ramadhan Mubarak: Welcoming Ramadhan

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
mumineen

Ramadhan Mubarak: Welcoming Ramadhan

Unread post by mumineen » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:26 am

Praise belongs to God who guided us to His praiseand placed us among the people of praise,that we might be among the thankful for His beneficenceand that He might recompense us for thatwith the recompense of the good-doers!

And praise belongs to God whoshowed favour to us through His religion,singled us out for His creed,and directed us onto the roads of His beneficence,in order that through His kindness we might travel upon them to His good pleasure,a praise which He will accept from us and through which He will be pleased with us!

And praise belongs to God who appointed among those roads His month,the month of Ramadan,the month of fasting,the month of submission,the month of purity,the month of putting to test,the month of standing in prayer,in which the Qur'an was sent down as guidance to the people,and as clear signs of the Guidance and the Separator!

He clarified its excellence over other monthsby the many sacred things and well-known excellencies which He placed therein,for He made unlawful in it what He declared lawful in others to magnify it,He prohibited foods and drinks in it to honour it,and He appointed for it a clear time which He (majestic and mighty is He) allows not to be set forward and accepts not to be placed behind.

Then He made one of its nights surpass the nights of a thousand monthsand named it the Night of Decree;in it the angels and the Spirit descendby the leave of their Lord upon every command,a peace constant in blessingsuntil the rising of the dawnupon whomsoever He will of His servantsaccording to the decision He has made firm.

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,inspire uswith knowledge of its excellence,veneration of its inviolability,and caution against what Thou hast forbidden within it,and help us to fast in itby our restraining our limbsfrom acts of disobedience toward Theeand our employing themin that which pleases Thee,so that we lend not our ears to idle talkand hurry not with our eyes to diversion, we stretch not our hands toward the forbiddenand stride not with our feet toward the prohibited,our bellies hold only what Thou hast made lawfuland our tongues speak only what Thouhast exemplified,we undertake nothing but what brings close toThy rewardand pursue nothing but what protects fromThy punishment!

Then rid all of that from the false show of the false showersand the fame seeking of the fame seekers,lest we associate therein anything with Theeor seek therein any object of desire but Thee!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,in it make us attendto the appointed moments of the five prayers withinthe bounds Thou hast set,the obligations Thou hast decreed,the duties Thou hast assigned,and the times Thou hast specified;

and in the prayers make us alight in the station ofthe keepers of their stations,the guardians of their pillars,their performers in their times,as Thy servant and Thy messenger set down in his Sunna(Thy blessings be upon him and his Household)in their bowings, their prostrations, and all theirexcellent acts,with the most complete and ample ritual purityand the most evident and intense humility!

Give us success in this month totighten our bonds of kin with devotion and gifts,attend to our neighbours with bestowal and giving,rid our possessions from claims,purify them through paying the alms,go back to him who has gone far from us,treat justly him who has wronged us,make peace with him who shows enmity toward us(except him who is regarded as an enemyin Thee and for Thee,for he is the enemy whom we will not befriend,the party whom we will not hold dear),

and seek nearness to Thee through blameless workswhich will purify us from sinsand preserve us from renewing faults,so that none of Thy angels will bring for Theethe kinds of obedience and sorts ofnearness-seekingunless they be less than what we bring!

O God,I ask Thee by the right of this monthand by the right of him who worships Thee within itfrom its beginning to the time of its passing,whether angel Thou hast brought nigh to Thee,prophet Thou hast sent,or righteous servant Thou hast singled out,that Thou bless Muhammad and his Household,make us worthy of the generosity Thou hast promisedThy friends,make incumbent for uswhat Thou hast made incumbentfor those who go to great lengths in obeying Thee,and place us in the ranks of thosewho deserve through Thy mercy the highest elevation!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,turn us aside fromdeviation in professing Thy Unity,falling short in magnifying Thee,in Thy religion,blindness toward Thy path,heedlessness of Thy inviolability,and being deceived by Thy enemy, the accursed Satan!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,and when in every night of this month's nightsThou hast neckswhich Thy pardon will releaseand Thy forgiveness disregard,place our necks among those necksand place us among the best folk and companionsof this our month!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,efface our sinsalong with the effacing of its crescent moon,and make us pass forth from the ill effects of our actswith the passing of its days,until it leaves us behind,while within it Thou hast purified us of offensesand rid us of evil deeds!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Household,and should we go off to one side in this month,set us aright;should we swerve,point us straight;and should Thy enemy Satan enwrap us,rescue us from him! O God,fill this month with our worship of Thee,adorn its times with our obedience toward Thee,help us during its daytime with its fast,and in its night with prayer and pleading toward Thee,humility toward Thee,and lowliness before Thee,so that its daytime may not bear witnessagainst our heedlessness,nor its night against our neglect!

O God,make us like this in the other months and daysas long as Thou givest us life,and place us among Thy righteous servants,those who shall inherit Paradise,therein dwelling forever,those who give what they give,while their hearts quake,that they are returning to their Lordthose who vie in good works,outracing to them!

O God,bless Muhammad and his Householdin every time, in all moments, and in every state,to the number that Thou hast blessed whomsoeverThou hast blessedand to multiples of all that, through multipleswhich none can count but Thee!

Surely Thou art Accomplisher of what Thou desirest…..Amen

SAJJAD

Re: Ramadhan Mubarak: Welcoming Ramadhan

Unread post by SAJJAD » Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:33 am

Ramadan is the month for prayers, reading verses out of the Koran, and of course, fasting for thirty days. But for Bohris, this holy month is the time to pay heavy imposed taxes in the form of sabil,silo fitro,zakat,salam, raza, etc to Burhannudin and his Kothars. I bet the Kothars eagerly await the month of Ramadan each year and pray for more money from you. I bet they even make forecasted projections on how much money they will recieve this year.

I would advise to please refrain from paying the above huge taxes to kothar. Please donate your money to charitable organizations that will distribute funds or goods to needy or deserving people. Why throw your money at a group of people that are already mult-millionaires? I pray more Bohras will be wiser this year in their money disbursement choices.

MOHD HUSSAIN

Unread post by MOHD HUSSAIN » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:14 pm

Syedna said in the Vaez at bombay last weekend- "MOULA TUS ALSO SAID THAT WE ALL PAY WAAJEBAT AND DID DUA FOR THAT AND SAID IT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO PAY SILATUL IMAM."What is Silattul Imam? Is it a new kind of tax? I agree that instead of paying these suckers we should give money to charity of your choice directly & there are plenty of them around!Once again please report these kothari looters to all governmental agencies in your countries citing the fact that they should be denied the religious exemption -It is a CULT_ In us call IRS- criminal division- Tel #1-800-829-0433-name to report is - Dawat-e-Hadiyah North America, 20134, mountaindale, Cypress, Texas, 77433 TEL #281-858-5552 &the trustte is Malekul-Ashtar-Shujauddin- Also the number for the FBI in _Houston Texas is 713-767-0502- Both these agencies will investigate & the Kothar can bribe these guys for sure!

MOHD HUSSAIN

Unread post by MOHD HUSSAIN » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:17 pm

Correction-" Can not bribe these guys-"Thanks

MOHD HUSSAIN

Unread post by MOHD HUSSAIN » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:20 pm

I forgot to mention that you should also mention the money laundering that they do - Which is a serious crime by itself!

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:56 pm

Dear Mhd. Hussain,
Silatil Imam is part of khums collect during Ramadhan. It is the part of the khums that the Imam keeps.

Sila fitra or zakatul fitra is zakat paid on each head of your family and is required to be given before the Eid.

Zakat means grow (in goodness) or "increase", purifying or make pure. So the act of giving zakat means purifying one's wealth to gain Allah's blessing to make it grow in goodness)

Khums literally means "one-fifth or 20%". In Islamic legal terminology, it means "one-fifth of certain items which a person acquires as wealth, and which must be paid as an Islamic tax".

Both are required to be given to the Prophet, Imam and/or his representative (the Dai al'Mutlaq). Neither of these is charity.

Sadaqa is charity and is optional and can be given to anyone in need.

jinx

Unread post by jinx » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:22 am

Well Qiyam...Do you really understand what you just said? Where did you learn the 2 taxes for Imam Uz Zaman - Silatul Imam and Khums?

huzaif

Unread post by huzaif » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:17 am

qiyam,

Khumus is not 20% but it is 5%.
Ganeemat maal is 20%.

huzaif

Unread post by huzaif » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:18 am

jinx,

What is the purpose of your life ?

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:27 am

Brothers and Sisters in Islam

Assalamo-Alaikum

I searched for word ‘Khumus’ on my computer software ‘Aalim’. Program gave me one hit in Quran and 18 hits in Hadith. I am posting below what I found. Please note that by posting related Hadith I meant to convey what Khumus is. Subject matter of the Hadith is a different matter and I do not want to create another controversy about these subject matters.

My conclusion is that ‘Khumus’ is 20% of your share of ‘War booty’
Khumus

Glossary (Quran)
Khumus: One fifth of war booty given in Allah’s cause etc.

Quran Search : One Hit

Ayah 8:41

(Transliteration) Wa'lamu_ annama_ ganimtum min syai'in fa anna lilla_hi khumusahu_ wa lir rasu_li wa lizil qurba_ wal yata_ma_ wal masa_kini wabnis sabili in kuntum a_mantum billa_hi wa ma_ anzalna_ 'ala_ 'abdina_ yaumal furqa_ni yaumal taqal jam'a_n(i), walla_hu 'ala_ kulli syai'in qadir(un).

(Yusuf Ali) And know that out of all the booty that ye may acquire (in war) a fifth share is assigned to Allah and to the apostle and to near relatives orphans the needy and the wayfarer if ye do believe in Allah and in the revelation We sent down to Our servant on the day of testing the day of the meeting of the two forces. For Allah hath power over all things.

(Pickthall) And know that whatever ye take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsmen (who hath need) and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer; if ye believe in Allah and that which We revealed unto Our slave on the Day of Discrimination, the day when the two armies met. And Allah is Able to do all things.

Hadith Hits : 18

Bukhari 16

Al-Muwatta 2

Al-Muwatta Hadit 21:20

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'z-Zinad that Said ibn al-Musayyab said, "People used to be given bonuses from the Khumus." Malik
said, "That is the best of what I have heard on the matter."

Malik was asked about bonuses and whether they were taken from the first of the spoils, and he said, "That is only decided according to the ijtihad of the Imam. We do not have a known reliable command about that other than it is up to the ijtihad of the Sultan. I have not heard that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, gave bonuses in all his raids. I have only heard that he gave bonuses in one of them, namely the day of Hunayn. It depends on the ijtihad of the Imam whether they are taken from the first of the spoils or what is after it."

Bukhari 1:50

Narrated Abu Jamra

I used to sit with Ibn 'Abbas and he made me sit on his sitting place. He requested me to
stay with him in order that he might give me a share from his property. So I stayed with
him for two months. Once he told (me) that when the delegation of the tribe of 'Abdul Qais came to the Prophet, the Prophet asked them, "Who are the people (i.e. you)? (Or) who are the delegate?" They replied, "We are from the tribe of Rabi'a." Then the Prophet said to them, "Welcome! O people (or O delegation of 'Abdul Qais)! Neither will you have disgrace nor will you regret." They said, "O Allah's Apostle! We cannot come to you except in the sacred month and there is the infidel tribe of Mudar intervening between you and us. So please order us to do something good (religious deeds) so that we may inform our people whom we have left behind (at home), and that we may enter Paradise (by acting on them)." Then they asked about drinks (what is legal and what is illegal). The Prophet ordered them to do four things and forbade them from four things. He ordered them to believe in Allah Alone and asked them, "Do you know what is meant by believing in Allah Alone?" They replied, "Allah and His Apostle know better. "Thereupon the Prophet said, "It means:

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is
Allah's Apostle.
2. To offer prayers perfectly
3. To pay the Zakat (obligatory charity)
4. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan
5. And to pay Al-Khumus (one fifth of the booty to be given in Allah's Cause).

Then he forbade them four things, namely, Hantam, Dubba,' Naqir Ann Muzaffat or
Muqaiyar; (These were the names of pots in which alcoholic drinks were prepared) (The
Prophet mentioned the container of wine and he meant the wine itself). The Prophet
further said (to them): "Memorize them (these instructions) and convey them to the people whom you have left behind."

Hadith3:321

Narrated Ali

I got an old she-camel as my share from the booty, and the Prophet had given me another
from Al-Khumus. And when I intended to marry Fatima (daughter of the Prophet), I
arranged that a goldsmith from the tribe of Bani Qainuqa' would accompany me in order to bring Idhkhir and then sell it to the goldsmiths and use its price for my marriage banquet.

Hadith 5:637

Narrated Buraida

The Prophet sent 'Ali to Khalid to bring the Khumus (of the booty) and I hated Ali, and 'Ali had taken a bath (after a sexual act with a slave-girl from the Khumus). I said to Khalid, "Don't you see this (i.e. Ali)?" When we reached the Prophet I mentioned that to him. He said, "O Buraida! Do you hate Ali?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you hate him, for he deserves more than that from the Khumus."

Hadith 5:60

Narrated Aisha

Fatima sent somebody to Abu Bakr asking him to give her, her inheritance from the Prophet from what Allah had given to His Apostle through Fai (i.e. booty gained without fighting). She asked for the Sadaqa (i.e. wealth assigned for charitable purposes) of the Prophet at Medina, and Fadak, and what remained of the Khumus (i.e. one-fifth) of the Khaibar booty. Abu Bakr said, "Allah's Apostle said, 'We (Prophets), our property is not inherited, and whatever we leave is Sadaqa, but Muhammad's family can eat from this property, i.e. Allah's property, but they have no right to take more than the food they need.' By Allah! I will not bring any change in dealing with the Sadaqa of the Prophet (and will keep them) as they used to be observed in his (i.e. the Prophet's) life-time, and I will dispose with it as Allah's Apostle used to do." Then 'Ali said, "I testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and that Muhammad is His Apostle," and added, "O Abu Bakr! We acknowledge your superiority." Then he (i.e. 'Ali) mentioned their own relationship to Allah's Apostle and their right. Abu Bakr then spoke saying, "By Allah in Whose Hands my life is. I love to do good to the relatives of Allah's Apostle rather than to my own relatives." Abu Bakr added: Look at Muhammad through his family (i.e. if you are no good to his family you are not good to him).

I read rest of HADITH. They all mean Khumus= 1/5 of war booty

Wasalaam

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:19 pm

Dear Jinx and Huzaif,
I originally heard it during bayan, as well as from my amil directly..then did my own research on it. Sayid Muhammad Rizwi, a ithna ashari scholar, has written an entire book on the topic. I quoted the passage of khums from it. Khums mean 1/5..which is 20%. Khamsa is five. Ganeemat maal is khums...it is a tax on the net total assests..and half is silatul Imam.

Khums is not a bohra tax but one of all shiahs...because there are hadith of Imam Jafar Sadiq explaining it.

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:26 pm

Correction:
I wrote ganeemat maal is khums. This could be only partially true depending on the use of the word. On the wajibaat form that the amil fill out, only zakatul maal, khums, and hub (which is personal donation) is listed. Depending upon which you consider ganeemat (adding up), because you would do add up both zakat and khums.

I apologize for the confusion.