Why we do not call ourselves Muslims

This forum covers a whole range of issues: from international politics and economy to human rights, from corporate domination and greed to environmental crises...
Danish

Re: Why we do not call ourselves Muslims

Unread post by Danish » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:19 am

And although America has its own povery sticken population, but no where close to Islamic beggary and guess what, the majority of the poor live in reasonably independent "living" conditions. 401K and social security is an excellent asset towards a well being assured retiremnet, unlike any Islamic system including but not limited to WIC, food stamps, veteran and elderly relief and several other government rebates. Please don't give me your Arabized Islamic version of ancient dessert rhetorics to justify modern and advance ethical and justified systems in place today.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 am

If the question is--should we call ourselves "muslim" rather than other labels---my reply would be---do you submit your will to Allah?---if so, according to the Quran, you are muslim, if not, you are not a "muslim" in that the word "muslim" means one who submits (to God). The Quran says that Prophet Abraham was a muslim yet, during his time, there were no hadiths or sunnah or even the Quran itself. The Quran also calls the disciples of Prophet Jesus "muslim".

So....are you a muslim?

I came across a conversation by a group of christians who were dissatisfied with the church's emphasis on the original sin/crucifixion/salvation theory and felt that the "message" of Jesus Christ was being left out in favor of "Dogma" and ritual. They were discussing that in order to really surrender/submit to God, they should be following his guidance---the message of Jesus Christ---so I explained to them that they were "muslim" according to the Quran because they were trying to submit to God by following his guidance, rather than man-made interpretations.

In that sense, whatever label we call ourselves, shia, sunni, buddhist, jew, christian, etc, we are all "muslim" if we believe in a creator/divine that is one and unique and try to live our lives according to Allah's guidance.

In Judaism, they have an interesting theory about Satan (who is not an "entity" as in Islam) They say that God is "unity" and Satan is the "force of fragmentation" that gives us choices to exercise our free will and keep us from "Unity" or God. That once we overcome the forces of fragmentation, we can be one with God in Unity.

The Quran also says that Had Allah wanted, he could have made us all one religion, instead he made us into different nations and tribes so that we can learn to live in harmony with one another. This is the "Greater Jihad" finding the Unity within our Diversity so that we can all live in peace and harmony with one another.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

The Quran also calls the disciples of Prophet Jesus "muslim".
Not when they believe that Christ is son of God

And not after they learn about Qur'an and Islam and do not accept Islam.

Thai

Unread post by Thai » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:59 pm

sorry, I may have made a mistake, by "desciples", I meant the apostles---or whatever they call them---the Quran calls them "helpers". The people (men and women) who went around with Prophet Jesus. (I did not mean to refer to trinitarian christians)

It is also my understanding that the "trinitarian" view was not the generally accepted view of early "christians". It became the "official" view only after the council of nicea around 300 CE or so--and was initially adopted only by the "Roman" church. Eventually the Roman church "strongly persuaded" other churches to accept this trinitarian doctrine.