The confusion of 'd' and 'z'

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
Human

The confusion of 'd' and 'z'

Unread post by Human » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm

I've had this confusion for quite a while now where in India, bohris use 'z', sunnis use 'j' and overseas people use 'd' in certain words. Examples are:
Ramazan/Ramajan/Ramadan
Qarz-e-hasanah/Qard-e-hasanah

There are many other examples but I can only re-collect two for now. Basically I'm not sure which is the right one. Is it 'daal' or 'zaal'? Might be a very easy and basic question for the knowledgeable people on this forum and I might sound stupid, but just wanted to clear the confusion. Please give your input if you have an idea.

porus

Re: The confusion of 'd' and 'z'

Unread post by porus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm

The letter ض, Daad, is peculiar to Arabic and no sound for it exists in other languages. Arabs refer to their language as ‘lughat al-Daad’ , the language of Daad. South Asians use z as the nearest equivalent, which should really be used for ز , zayy. Elsewhere,the letter Daad is transliterated either as d or D in an attempt to make it sound more like Daad. I normally use D for Daad and d for daal.

So, for Bohras, RamDaan is pronounced Ramzaan, and QarD is pronounced Qarz

Other sounds that are confused by non-Arabs are ز, ظ, and ذ. I transliterate these as Z, z and dh respectively.

I do not always follow this convention on this board.

Human

Re: The confusion of 'd' and 'z'

Unread post by Human » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

^
Thanks Porus. Now I understand the difference.