Practice Of Female Circumcision Among Bohra Muslims.

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
British

Re: FEMALE CIRCUMCISION

Unread post by British » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 pm

This has also become big news in the UK, with ever increasing articles of the same seen in many UK papers. Here is one;
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/met-w ... rnalSearch

British

Unread post by British » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Extract from the article; even the ones that co-conspire will be targeted;

"Scotland Yard chiefs say that parents, relatives and others who arrange transport and surgery will be targeted for criminal action as child abusers as detectives step up their efforts to combat the illegal practice."

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm

i propose that all the zaadas and their hired goons - the amils - whatever their age, be forcibly bundled onto an ocean freighter like oxen and taken to australia, where they should be circumcised again in a most ruthless fashion. only then will they realise what the consequences of their tacit silence (or encouragement) on fgm among bohra females feels like.

after carrying out this punishment, they should be jailed for a few weeks with a daily application of red chilli powder mixed into paste with fresh lemon juice, on their wounds.

i recommend badrijanab accompany them on this journey as their captain.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I recently visited Sydney before another tour of duty and situation is so strange...

The Amil is still collecting darees salaams, najwas, the accused fgm family members are prominent in leading the affairs of the jamaat ...there is no shame or regret

Similarly there is no official announcement how to handle this situation !

I admire their courage but does it surprise anyone that if this was a business or government at least the accused would resign from their positions until the case was over..

I know they are not guilty in the courts view until proven...but surely the bohras cannot honestly state it is optional and as die hard followers of the Sayedna they ignored the important practise...they can fool the court process on technical grounds but the fact remains ..fgm continues ...

The abdes do not talk about it, it is like the issue never happened, they live in a parallel universe...it shows the degree of brainwashing, arrogance and stubbornness ...

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

ozmujaheed wrote:the fact remains ..fgm continues ...
Alhamdolillah, Allaho Akbar

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm

British wrote:"Scotland Yard chiefs say that parents, relatives and others who arrange transport and surgery will be targeted for criminal action as child abusers as detectives step up their efforts to combat the illegal practice."
Alhamdolillah, Allah O Akbar !

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm

badrijanab wrote:
ozmujaheed wrote:the fact remains ..fgm continues ...
Alhamdolillah, Allaho Akbar
badrijanab,

your display of conviction in favor of fgm on this board is like the coward who roams around bare chested in surat, trumpeting his bravado, while murderous riots are taking place in bombay!

if you have the guts, go to australia and proclaim that fgm is 'haq' and fight the infidels in court. alternatively, send an email to the concerned court stating your views on the subject and then let them track you down as a promoter of fgm. promise?

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Al Zulfiquar,

your display of conviction against "khatna" on this board is like the coward who roams around bare chested in surat, trumpeting his bravado, while murderous riots are taking place in bombay!

if you have the guts, go to Saify/Badri Mahal and proclaim that fgm is 'na-haq' and fight the infidels in Saify Mahal. alternatively, send an 'arzi' to the concerned Canada Aamil stating your views on the subject and then let them track you down as a anti of fgm. promise?

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

badrijanab,

now you seem to have completely lost your marbles and genitalia, or whatever remains of it.

you are the one going against internationally recognised laws against fgm. you are the one vehemently promoting and encouraging it. so if you have the guts to openly encourage people to flout laws of humanity, then go and put your money where your mouth is. get your self arrested in uk, eu or australia and then in jail keep shouting alhamdolillah and allah o akbar.

asking me to go and yell slogans outside saifee mahal which is full of crooks is stupid. i do not accept this cruel and barbaric practice and hate all those who do. i have not allowed it within my own family and will protest against it and report it if i come to know about it. i am not a brain dead abde and i do not recognise the authority of anyone in carrying out this jaahil practice. and what will an amil or zaada do, throw me out? oh shiver, shiver....! i have nothing to fear when i give a damn about their bull already.

Conscíous

Please help me, I don't want to be cut like my sister

Unread post by Conscíous » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:02 am

Heartbreaking letter from desperate 11-year-old girl who learns her sister's genitals were mutilated by an aunt
article-2288530-1874CB15000005DC-479_306x423.jpg
-The girl sent the letter to charity Equality Now who published the letter
-The charity hopes to alert teachers to the importance of reporting suspicions of FGM to the authorities
-An estimated 24,000 girls in the UK are at risk, according to Equality Now

PUBLISHED: 17:55 GMT, 5 March 2013

A heart-breaking letter from an 11-year-old girl begging for a charity for help to avoid female genital mutilation reveals the very real threat for many girls in the UK.
The girl’s cry for help was prompted by her discovery that her 12-year-old sister had been taken to her grandmother’s home in Gambia, west Africa for the procedure.
'I really hope you can help me, not to have my private cut,' she writes after discovering her sister's horrific fate.
The letter, sent in 2010, was today published by campaigners in a bid to alert teachers to the importance of reporting suspicions of female genital mutilation (FGM) to the authorities.
In the letter to charity Equality Now, the 11-year-old girl says her sister ‘had her private cut’ by her aunties and grandmother in their native Gambia.
She explains how her mother, sisters and brothers came to the UK from west Africa in 2005 to join her father who was studying at university in the UK.
Five years later, as the family was watching a ‘TV programme on African culture showing girls having their privates cut’, she describes how her sister suddenly burst into tears and a few days later told their father what had happened.
‘She said it was done one weekend by my aunties at my nans house. Last Friday mum took her to our GP to have her checked and the doctor said it was done to her.’
According to the 11-year-old’s letter, the older sister had been told ‘the spirits will come and kill her immediately’ if she spoke of the procedure.

The little girl got in touch with the charity after telling one of her school teachers, who directed her to Equality Now.
‘Please madam help me, and my dad,’ she begs. ‘I really hope you can help me, not to have my private cut.’
‘I am reallye confused expessically seeing my dad so un-happy and not knowing what to do.(sic)’
After they received the letter in 2010, the charity contacted police and the girl is now believed to be safe.
No prosecution has been brought but this is believed to be due to the perpetrators, the girl’s aunts and grandmother, being overseas at the time police were alerted, and difficulty obtaining evidence.

‘Practising communities think that the UK doesn’t have the guts to prevent and prosecute for FGM,’ Efua Dorkenoo, director of Equality Now’s campaign against FGM, told the Evening Standard.
‘The key reasons for the lack of prosecutions are the young age of those involved and the fact that FGM is a hidden practice within families and affected communities.’
Following the revelation in her letter that her teacher advised her to contact the charity instead of reporting the incident, Efua Dorkenoo, director of Equality Now’s campaign against FGM, warned teachers that they must alert authorities if a child displays any indication of having fallen victim of female genital mutilation.
‘If (teachers) and other frontline professionals do this, we will get prosecutions and come closer to ending this horrific abuse,’ Ms Dorkenoo added.
Female gender mutilation was made illegal in 1985 in the UK but Equality Now estimates that 24,000 girls in the UK are at risk.

THE LETTER SENT BY GIRL, 11, WHO FEARED SHE BE CUT LIKE HER SISTER
8th November 2010
Dear Madam
My name is XXX and I am 11 years old. I and my mum, sisters and brother came to England in 2005 when I had just turned 6 years old to join my dad who was at University. We come from Gambia in West Africa.
Three weeks ago we were watching a TV programme on African culture and as they were showing girls having their privates cut, my older sister who is 12 years old started crying. After 2 days she told my dad that she also had her private cut.
Mum and Dad never knew about it and she was told if she ever tells anyone the sprits will come and kill her immediately. She said it was done one weekend by my aunties at my nans house. Last Friday mum took her to our GP to have her checked and the doctor said it was done to her.
This morning when I went to school I told one of my teachers about it and together we went on the computer and found your group. The teacher asked me to write to you and ask for your help. I don’t want my private cut by anyone.
My dad loves us very much and he did not like what they done to my sister and he is very confussed. We should be going back to Gambia any time after Eid and he is worried and upset that they would do the same to me. I don’t what that too.
If you reply to this letter I will showe my dad and I am shore that he would be very glad to have your help. He is my best friend and if he knows what to do he would do it, he would not want anything to hurt us – I know that.
Please madam help me, and my dad. If you reply soon he would definately contact you if you can help. I really hope you can help me, not to have my private cut. I am reallye confused expessically seeing my dad so un-happy and not knowing what to do.
Thank you very much for reading my letter.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2MkhYvLCC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 pm

FIGO supports 2012’s International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (6 February 2012)

The International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is held each 6 February to encourage global awareness of FGM (also called ‘cutting’) and to promote its eradication. The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) views FGM of any type as a violation of the human rights of girls and women, and works actively with other global organisations to help to eliminate it.

http://www.figo.org/news/figo-supports- ... ruary-2012

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Parents in Burkina Faso 'are subjecting younger girls to FGM in order to avoid the law'

Female genital mutilation (FGM) is being carried out on babies as parents in Burkina Faso look to avoid prosecution, according to the country's minister for women's advancement.

Nestorine Sangare told TrustLaw that in the past, FGM was performed on teenagers in a community ritual, but it is now carried out in secret, with an increasing amount of parents taking their offspring to neighbouring west African countries to have the procedure done.

She said: "In my time I was circumcised at 14, but now it’s done on very young babies - seven days, one month.

“It’s done when they are under one year before they can speak and tell someone outside the house they have been subjected to FGM.”

Burkina Faso was one of the first African countries to ban FGM in 1996 and now anyone convicted of it faces up to three years in prison.

Ms Sangare also urged other countries to adopt a similar stance against FGM to stop cutters and parents using political borders to prevent prosecution.

http://www.figo.org/news/parents-burkin ... aw-0010925

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 am

Female Genital Mutilation = sexual abuse by a RELATIVE

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Why male circumcision is not opposed by non-mumineen's?

Male and female circumcision - both are similar.

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 pm

badri janab,
IF it was similar, why aren't the male crying about what has happened to them like the women do??
Why so secretive from the general public??
Why is it outlawed ??

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 pm

BooM wrote:badri janab,
IF it was similar, why aren't the male crying about what has happened to them like the women do??
Why so secretive from the general public??
Why is it outlawed ??
Brother Boom Ji,

Out of 100units of Bohra female mumina bai not even 0.001 mumin bai is crying.

Who are crying = anti to mumineen like Oz Mujahid and alike.

Partly cutting of extra skin for female; should it be atrocity then by the same token it is atrocity for male khatna as well. So why all non-mumineen complaining and protesting male khatna?

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:15 am

BJ my name means fighter...I fight for the children who are undergoing abuse in the name of unIslamic rituals. They do not have the strength to say no or push you a users off because they trust you.

Yes mumineen if they mean abdes are the abusers they are my enemy.

Who are backing the movement against fgm, United Nations, National Governments, enlightened Muslims, Medical Profession

Who is supporting you retarded thought process...1 million abdes and Muffy.

You seat behind the computer and call verbal abuse...

I challenge you...let us have a date...10th March 2028, ...we will see whether who are going against Moala Farman and risking jail

You mention boy circumcision ....no one has told us it is harmful to the health.....so until then We are not stupid to go against it.

You mention women are not crying...you pervert...do you have a teenage daughter, sister....go ask her if she is enjoying it...

The only reason they do it is to please the Diai, keep dawat shariat...good luck how many keep the 53rd54th happy

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 am

badrijanab wrote:Out of 100units of Bohra female mumina bai not even 0.001 mumin bai is crying.
Bhai badrijanab,
How do you know this? You seriously don't accept us to believe it, unless you have so kind of reliable research to back your claim,, Can you produce such a research?

badrijanab

Unread post by badrijanab » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 am

BooM wrote:
badrijanab wrote:Out of 100units of Bohra female mumina bai not even 0.001 mumin bai is crying.
Bhai badrijanab,
How do you know this? You seriously don't accept us to believe it, unless you have so kind of reliable research to back your claim,, Can you produce such a research?
Yes, test this with sample of 100 adult mumina bai and you will have unadultered first hand ground reality feedback.

Still the point remain unanswered that why non and anti mumineen do not oppose male khatna?!!!

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 am

badrijanab wrote:Yes, test this with sample of 100 adult mumina bai and you will have unadultered first hand ground reality feedback.
You surely don't accept us to just take your word on that? For all we could know, you could be just lying to defend, what you were programmed to believe..
badrijanab wrote:Still the point remain unanswered that why non and anti mumineen do not oppose male khatna?!!!
Simply, because it's not the same..

asad

Unread post by asad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 am

MP stirs row after female circumcision remarks
They are carried out for ‘aesthetic’ reasons in Africa, he says

Tunis: Lawmakers from Tunisia’s secular opposition Monday denounced remarks attributed to an MP from the Islamist Al Nahda party that female circumcisions in Africa are carried out for “aesthetic’ reasons.
“It is unacceptable that a member promotes crimes against women,” lawmaker Nadia Shaaban said in the National Constituent Assembly, referring to remarks purportedly made by Habib Ellouze, an MP from the ruling Al Nahda.
“In the [African] regions where it is hot, people are forced to circumcise girls ... because in these regions clitorises are too big which affects the spouses,” Ellouze was quoted in an interview published in the Sunday edition of Maghreb newspaper as saying.
“There are more circumcisions but it is not true that circumcision removes the pleasure for women. It is the West that has exaggerated the issue. Circumcision is an aesthetic surgery for women,” he was quoted as saying.
Ellouze on Monday accused the newspaper of distorting his quotes, saying the journalist “attributed remarks to me that I have not said.”
“She insisted that I respond to the question and I told her that it is a tradition in other countries,” Ellouze said in the assembly.
Al Nahda, which heads the Tunisian government, is regularly accused of orchestrating a creeping Islamisation of society and seeks to limit the rights of women. Al Nahda denies these charges.
The International Organisation of Migration says that around 100 to 140 million women have undergone female genital mutilations around the world, mainly in Africa.

Conscíous

MOVING LETTER HELPS MAKE ZERO TOLERANCE A REALITY

Unread post by Conscíous » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

MOVING LETTER HELPS MAKE ZERO TOLERANCE A REALITY

It's a decade since the first Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). On the 10th anniversary last month, people from around the world again joined forces to call for an end to this 2,000-year-old practice. So, what difference did it make?

In Africa an estimated three million girls are still experiencing genital mutilation or cutting each year, but there are reasons for optimism. On this year's Day of Zero Tolerance, girleffect.org reported how, as more and more girls and women - such as Somali model and campaigner Waris Dirie (pictured) - speak out about their experiences of FGM, attitudes are starting to change.

Since then, those powerful stories have spread even further.

Last week a moving letter written by an 11-year-old girl to the charity Equality Now was published by a number of media outlets in the UK including the Daily Mail. "I don't want my private cut by anyone," she wrote, in fear of suffering the same fate as her sister, who had been cut by her aunt without her parents' knowledge. UK newspaper the Independent also ran a series of articles about FGM to tie in with International Women's Day.

And it's not just in the UK. A documentary film tackling the subject called The Cut played to packed cinemas at a film festival in Burkina Faso recently. Beryl Magoko, the director, told the Guardian newspaper: "I came under a lot of peer pressure from my sister and my school friends, so I too wanted to do it. It was torture. You just bleed and suffer, and the medicine they give you is herbs with sugar water. I want to show my film in the villages on mobile cinemas alongside seminars, so young girls don't have to suffer."

Crucially, as understanding of FGM spreads, so does action to tackle it. In a milestone moment at the UN's Commission for the Status of Women last week, the UK international development minister, Lynne Featherstone, announced the biggest-ever international investment programme aimed at ending FGM. "It is time to break the taboo on genital mutilation," she said in New York. "For too long the international community has been cowardly on this subject."

With a budget of £35m, the new programme is expected to reduce FGM by 30 per cent across 10 priority countries over the next five years.

It's a great start, but until the number of girls being subjected to FGM reaches zero, then we must all do what we can to keep FGM in the headlines all year round.

http://www.girleffect.org/news/2013/03/ ... a-reality/

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm

very few people are aware that at the UN's Commission for the Status of Women, the UK international development minister, Lynne Featherstone also announced that the new chairman of the commission was going to be none other than syedi aaliqadr mansoos mufaddal saifuddin, the dai's vice regent and crown prince of dawoodi bohras.

mufaddal takes charge of the commission from april and is expected to have a wide ranging impact on the future status of women, based on his vast experience in the field of fgm, and his known predilection for honoring women, all women, no matter their status in society. mufaddal has been known to be a trendsetter and islamic rebel, giving his hand to women for kissing, esp if they happen to be pretty airhostesses from middle-class families.

muffadal will cut and cut prolifically, all that is chaff from the wheat.

su eni niraali shaan chhe!

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 am

So Bohras support the idea that alcohol tobacco and drugs is bad because it is harmful and disrespectful and should be stopped ! We all agree ...cudos

Now child abuse in the form of FGM, which is proven medically harmful, by law illegal and Islamically is not required ....Bohras are reluctant to ban it !...how can this be possible
A double standard, thus, can be described as a sort of biased, morally unfair suspension (toward a certain group) of the principle that all are equal in their freedoms. Such double standards are seen as unjustified because they violate a basic maxim of modern legal jurisprudence: that all parties should stand equal before the law. Double standards also violate the principle of justice known as impartiality, which is based on the assumption that the same standards should be applied to all people, without regard to subjective bias or favoritism based on social class, rank, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age or other distinctions. A double standard violates this principle by holding different people accountable according to different standards. The phrase "life is not fair" may be invoked in order to mollify concerns over double standards.

simple

documentary

Unread post by simple » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 am

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 am

How wide spread is this practise in PDB community and Alawi Bohra ?

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 am

We don't know, but I'm sure Grayson can help you conduct a study, since he is the brightest of us all :roll:

Grayson

Unread post by Grayson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 am

Circumcision is an orthodox Bohra practice as has been discussed in this topic. Due to the somewhat taboo nature in discussing it conversationally, it's usually thought of as an "it is what it is" sort of thing.

This isn't your typical type of question you can survey on the streets in order to gauge an idea.

Female genital mutilation isn't really my speciality (at least not the mutilation part), so my suggestion to get a good idea is to know for yourself from the women in your life. I know, not a pretty thought, but atleast it adds some sort of awareness to your query.

For example, most Bohra women I know likely have it because they're orthodox followers, although I can't say it assuredly, particularly for cousins and friends in Western countries.

Open petitions against it seem to suggest the barbarism is widespread, as a good deal of supporters are likely victims themselves. As it's orthodox practice, assume for arguments sake, that most orthodox have adhered to it. Getting a clear cut ratio for prevalence rate may be difficult. You could persist if it's that important.

faiyaz0987

Unread post by faiyaz0987 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm

I am so shocked at this barbarism, I really want to ask my mother and my aunts and my cousins what they went through but sadly I cant.

This makes me not want to marry a Dawoodi Bohra girl,

and I take this decision not to marry a Dawoodi bohra in protest.

Grayson

Unread post by Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, and sorry but I have to admonish you.

If that's a reason for you not wanting to marry a Bohra girl it's a rather foolish one. These young girls didn't ask for this to happen to them. Your protest is unfair.

If indeed you do marry a Bohra girl and are gifted with a daughter you two could make the intelligent choice and make her forego this ordeal. But condescending all women who've undergone it is narrowminded.