Keepers of the Faith - A Novel - Must Read

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Admin

Keepers of the Faith - A Novel - Must Read

Unread post by Admin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am

Keepers of the Faith: This new novel is a must-read. It is a story of blind faith and of a ruthless clergy that destroy lives and relationships.

Ismail K Poonawala has written a Foreword for the book.

The book is published in Canada by Mawenzi House and can be purchased from the following outlets:
Reviews

"Keepers of the Faith is an inspiring and provocative novel. Ajmeri deserves full credit for his lucid style and thoughtful and philosophical reflections over the bewildering events that unfold. All the scenes vividly narrated come alive before the readers' eyes like a beautiful tableau painted by a skilful master painter. In my view, Keepers of the Faith should be read by all Momins conversant with English. It is hoped that soon the novel will be translated into Urdu, Gujarati and Hindi and other languages so that inquisitive readers all around the globe can also enjoy this masterpiece."

- Ismail K. Poonawala, Professor Emeritus of Arabic and Islamic Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles

“Keepers of the Faith is a beautifully written novel that situates a moving personal story against the backdrop of inter- and intra-communal tensions in modern India. The novel is at once a poignant love story as well as a trenchant exploration of the interplay between orthodoxy and Islamophobia at home and abroad. Written in a style that is at once accessible and often lyrical, redolent of memories and observations keenly made, the novel will prove a read that is both immersive and insightful.”

- Sumaiya Hamdani, an Associate Professor of History at George Mason University

Udaipuri

Re: Keepers of the Faith - A Novel - Must Read

Unread post by Udaipuri » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:13 pm

This book was launched in Udaipur in Feb this year during the reformist conference. I've read it and must say that it captures the Bohra reality in a way no other non-fiction book can. The story of two lovers separated by religious strife is relatable and heartbreaking. The plot is well structured and keeps the reader engaged till the end, you want to keep turning the page and yet don't want the book to finish. There's much more to the story than just religion of course. The literary style is simple yet poetic and the author offers nuggets of humour and deep insights into the human condition. I would highly recommend it and urge everyone to read it and gift it to your family and friends.

This is a bold and brave book. High time someone worte it.

Sheikh_Sajjad_Husain

Unread post by Sheikh_Sajjad_Husain » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Could not read more than 3 pages, it is very touching and painful.

scares me, that I could relate to it at such a personal level....

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 am

Ismail K. Poonawala, the eminent Islamic scholar has written a Foreword for this novel:

"It is no easy task to survey and present a comprehensive view of the contemporary history of a close-knit Shia Muslim community to a broad public audience without compromising on the scholarly rigour demanded by the subtle nuances of that history. In an ambitious endeavour to do precisely that, Shaukat Ajmeri masterfully executes just such a task in his debut novel Keepers of the Faith, setting an exemplary standard that ought to be followed by aspiring writers in the genre of historical fiction." Read more...

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am

Every Bohra should read this book. Can't recommend it enough.

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:46 am

Came across this piece, a letter to the author by Sumaiya Hamdani:

"I have just finished reading your novel. I’m sorry it has taken me so long to do so, in part because all throughout I was making mental notes about what to say to you about it. Many things, actually, among them that you have done for the Bohras what M.G. Vassanji has done for the Khojas. And there he was, being thanked in your acknowledgments at the end of the novel." Continued...

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:50 pm

I have just started reading this book. So far it has not gripped me but I am hopeful. I feel this book will have a limited readership as the plot revolves around a pitiful small community, its corrupt leader and his dealings. Its circulation will be limited to gloating separatists simply because it touches their raw nerve. Contrary to Sumaiya Hamdani's review paralleling Ajmeri's literary skills to M.G. Vassanji is dillusionary.

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 am

Paper back copy of this book is not available in India. Is sale of this book is sabotage by Moula!

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am

Maqbool wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 am Paper back copy of this book is not available in India. Is sale of this book is sabotage by Moula!
The book is not published in India yet that is why the paperback is not available. Inshallah it will be available in a few months.

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Mkenya wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:50 pm I have just started reading this book. So far it has not gripped me but I am hopeful. I feel this book will have a limited readership as the plot revolves around a pitiful small community, its corrupt leader and his dealings. Its circulation will be limited to gloating separatists simply because it touches their raw nerve. Contrary to Sumaiya Hamdani's review paralleling Ajmeri's literary skills to M.G. Vassanji is dillusionary.
Passing judgement before finishing the book? Although every book should be judged on its own merits, I thought you being critical of Kothar and its misdoings would have positive things to say. If nothing else, at least appreciate the attempt to bring the issue to light to a wider public. Don't have to be so dismissive. In any case, I'm hoping you would like the book. I think you misunderstood Sumaiya Hamdani's comment. She's not comparing skills of the two, Vassanji of course is a great literary master. She is merely identifying the similarities of the themes the two authors have taken up with respect to their communities.

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Udaipuri bhai: I commend Ajmeri's effort, as you say, to attempt to bring the issue to light to a wider public. The phrase 'wider public' to me means you, me and those critical of the Kothar. The book's conceptual plot plays out in real terms in hundreds of Bohra homes daily. Lives have been torn apart, relationship have been destroyed, physical violence has ensued and so forth. This, and other attempts, to 'bring the issue to light' are literary notches. For years I was totally immersed on Kothar's side and observed first hand its underhanded and ruthless tactics to muzzle dissent. Suffice it to say that I will finish reading the book and shelve it with the writings of Noman Contractor, Asgerali Engineer and others. No hard feelings!

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

Mkenya bhai: This is a work of fiction so hopefully its appeal and reach will be beyond you and me. Inshallah. My request is not to shelve this and the writings of Asghar Ali Engineer and others, that would be such a waste. Lend them to others -- friends and family -- encourage them to read and discuss. Kothar will muzzle dissent but that doesn't mean we stop dissenting. We all have to try what we can, small acts of resistance will slowly loosen the Kohtar's grip. Nothing is forever.

bohri

Unread post by bohri » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 pm

Mkenya wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 pm Udaipuri bhai: I commend Ajmeri's effort, as you say, to attempt to bring the issue to light to a wider public. The phrase 'wider public' to me means you, me and those critical of the Kothar. The book's conceptual plot plays out in real terms in hundreds of Bohra homes daily. Lives have been torn apart, relationship have been destroyed, physical violence has ensued and so forth. This, and other attempts, to 'bring the issue to light' are literary notches. For years I was totally immersed on Kothar's side and observed first hand its underhanded and ruthless tactics to muzzle dissent. Suffice it to say that I will finish reading the book and shelve it with the writings of Noman Contractor, Asgerali Engineer and others. No hard feelings!
Mkenya - While this book is set in the Bohra background, the same story plays out in peoples following a specific dogma, led by a priestly hierarchy and live in an insular world of roles, rules and absolute obedience. A public wider than Bohris would find appeal and empathy in this tale. Think Tara Westover's "Educated", Miriam Toew's "Women Talking" or the movie "Unrothodox". There is a common theme of oppression by a ruling clergy, enforcement by followers and cruel consequences to dissent, whether you are Mormon, Mennonite or a Hasidic Jew. Ajmeri's voice needs to be heard, not necessarily to further the Reformist cause, but as an atonement and healing for the thousands of Bohris who have suffered the pain of separation. Professor S Hamdani has found it important enough to make is an assignment book in one of her Islamic courses. Let us all do our bit to encourage readership and make sure our story is not forgotten.

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 pm

I had the pleasure yesterday of participating in a Zoom discussion hosted by Shaukat Ajmeri. It was quite enlightening and insightful. I was impressed by the input from different people and realised that they in fact represent the crux of the disenchanted. I commend them in their quest to bring this topic to the attention of many.
I know 'barat'; as I have lived through that curse. Our whole family was ostracised and vilified in Jamaat discourses which propagated us being expelled from Bohra-owned clubs, 'izzans' stopped, etc.

alam

Unread post by alam » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Just got through reading this artfully crafted work of historical romantic fiction. Although it was a page turner with suspense, there were plenty of moments that gave a stunning pause - giving the reader a nuance, perhaps even slight, into the perspectives and experiences of Khatun or the soul-searching agony of Zubeida caught between her daughter and her husband or the trauma of a teenager witnessing violence toward his mother and aunties. Ajmeri makes it enormously easy for the reader to step into the everyday life of the characters and perhaps feel what they are feeling, albeit a tip of the iceberg.

Many families and friends have been adversely impacted by the abuse and excesses, brainwashing and baraats by this “holier than thou” dawat’s infrastructure.

Congratulations to Ajmeri on this fantastic portrayal of the events, abuses and injustices faced by one community, yet one which many many can relate to. Definitely a must read! A

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I venture to ask if Ruksana's enlightenment, liberation and achievements could have been realised if she has had not moved to the U.S. Although the same environment did nothing to diffuse her husband's allegiance to Kothar's dictats. Any thoughts?

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 am

Mkenya wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 pm I venture to ask if Ruksana's enlightenment, liberation and achievements could have been realised if she has had not moved to the U.S. Although the same environment did nothing to diffuse her husband's allegiance to Kothar's dictats. Any thoughts?
Interesting! Given Rukhsana's love interest and how it was cut short I think she was already not too pleased with the mullahs. Immigrating to US would have hardly mattered one way or the other in my view. What drove her against the system was her husband's fanaticism and bad behaviour. With that kind of husband her "enlightenment" would have happened sooner or later. BTW I wouldn't describe her situation as "enlightenment or liberation" but ... I won't say more lest I spoil it for others.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 am

Reviewer: Zarina Patel

This is one of those novels which you start reading and cannot put down. It has a story line and a plot, it has love and passion, it has scenic descriptions of actual geographic areas and the splendours of Mother Nature, it has suspense. It is a chronicle of our times; the characters are contemporary and global, from India to the USA. The narrative is embedded in a small Shia Islamic sect known as the Dawoodi Bohra which traces its roots to Yemen, and was established in Mumbai, India in the 16th century. Today it is spread internationally and has a sizeable presence in East Africa, the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and the Gulf states.

https://www.awaazmagazine.com/volume-17 ... -the-faith

bohra_manus

Unread post by bohra_manus » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm

I finally got to read the book and here are my thoughts on it.

Keepers of The Faith presents a true picture of a small community in turmoil caused by the ever powerful clergy.
Those who are part of this community can easily relate to the story where as others can see the heavy handed tactics used by the clergy to force the followers in total submission.
What I enjoyed the most was the way Shaukat Ajmeri has used his mastery of words into forming sentences. I was mesmerized by the skillful use the language. At times he describes events and object with words and sentences that reader feels he/she is witnessing the drama that is unfolding. I have read it once but I plan to read it again just to enjoy the literary feast that the book presents.
Well done, Shaukat Ajmeri.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:00 am

Does anyone know when will this book be released in India?

it is available on Amazon India but would need to be imported, which makes it super expensive and unpredictable in terms of ETD too

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:00 am

zinger wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:00 am Does anyone know when will this book be released in India?

it is available on Amazon India but would need to be imported, which makes it super expensive and unpredictable in terms of ETD too
The author is looking for a literary agent/publisher in India. If anyone knows anyone in this field who might be interested in publishing this book please post the info here or send us a private message. Once accepted for publication it might take six months to a year to become available.

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 am

Kindle version is available at amazon.in

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 am

Maqbool wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 am Kindle version is available at amazon.in

i knooooooow, but my kindle has been gathering dust for almost 2 years now :oops:

bohra_manus

Unread post by bohra_manus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:09 am

zinger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 am
Maqbool wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 am Kindle version is available at amazon.in
i knooooooow, but my kindle has been gathering dust for almost 2 years now :oops:
I think you can get the kindle version and there are free utilities available to convert to PDF. I have done it in the past, just don't remember what software I used to convert. You must read it, his writing style is amazing.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:53 am

bohra_manus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:09 am
zinger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 am

I think you can get the kindle version and there are free utilities available to convert to PDF. I have done it in the past, just don't remember what software I used to convert. You must read it, his writing style is amazing.
oh wow, that sounds great. let me explore that option then

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Featured in an online Canadian magazine: 2020 Fiction: Books of the Year! Check it out...

https://49thshelf.com/Blog/2020/12/07/2 ... f-the-Year

Udaipuri

Unread post by Udaipuri » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 am

Now published in East Africa

https://zandgraphics.com/catalog/keepers-of-the-faith/

Keepers of the Faith was launched last year in North America. We are pleased to release in East Africa now.

The book is a work of fiction and tells the story of Bohras who rise up to challenge the might of a ruthless priesthood.

Islamic scholar, Ismail K. Poonawala says, "Keepers of the Faith is an inspiring and provocative novel. Ajmeri deserves full credit for his lucid style and thoughtful and philosophical reflections over the bewildering events that unfold. All the scenes vividly narrated come alive before the reader's eyes like a beautiful tableau painted by a skilful master painter."

Farzana Doctor, a novelist form Canada, in her tribute says: '...it is a breathtaking and brave story about the tyranny of religion, a community at odds with itself and the bonds of love that endure despite oppression. This book is complex, beautiful, and essential reading for our times'

Order today

The book is now available in Kenya at KShs 1500/- +p&p. You can order the book through the site or directly from me at 0722344900.

Delivery within Nairobi and Environs is Kshs 350/- flat.

Please get in touch for any further information info@zandgraphics.com or 0722344900