One step that will change your life and bring more understanding about Islam

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
TalibBhai

One step that will change your life and bring more understanding about Islam

Unread post by TalibBhai » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am

Bismillah Al Rahman Al Rahim

Note: Admin do not merge this topic with anything else because what I am going to type is very important and deserves a separate discussion.

Dear Readers,

I dont care if you are sunni wahabi shia or Bohra and if you are Bohra you believe in present dai or not, but I understand that you are still in Islamic fold and you read kalematus shadat and believe in Allah and his messenger.

so since you are Muslim and I am sure you want to know your deen more so that you can follow it with more dedication.

So in that case my humble request is to read AL QURAN from cover to cover with translation once in your life.

once you do this you will know deen Islam about 80 percent without any more efforts and the remaining 20 percent is the life of Muhammed and panjatan to be followed to complete your way of action in real life.

this is my request in this Ramadan to read Quran with translation most preferably in your mother tongue and by next year Inshallah you will be knowing your deen much more than this year.

W.salaam

Dua maa yaad

AbdeYamani

Re: One step that will change your life and bring more understanding about Islam

Unread post by AbdeYamani » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:09 pm

TalibBhai wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am Bismillah Al Rahman Al Rahim

Note: Admin do not merge this topic with anything else because what I am going to type is very important and deserves a separate discussion.

Dear Readers,

I dont care if you are sunni wahabi shia or Bohra and if you are Bohra you believe in present dai or not, but I understand that you are still in Islamic fold and you read kalematus shadat and believe in Allah and his messenger.

so since you are Muslim and I am sure you want to know your deen more so that you can follow it with more dedication.

So in that case my humble request is to read AL QURAN from cover to cover with translation once in your life.

once you do this you will know deen Islam about 80 percent without any more efforts and the remaining 20 percent is the life of Muhammed and panjatan to be followed to complete your way of action in real life.

this is my request in this Ramadan to read Quran with translation most preferably in your mother tongue and by next year Inshallah you will be knowing your deen much more than this year.

W.salaam

Dua maa yaad
Salaamun Jameel,

Jazakallah khair for your advice, your sincerity of thought and honesty cannot be missed.

I just have few things to add.

1. Try to read comparative translations. unfortunately, translations have not escaped influence of sect and creed.

I mostly refer to Saheeh International(Quran.com) & M.H Shakir(Al-quran.info)

2. Refer to Tafseer al Mizan of Allama Tabtabai, his tafseer is considered by both Shia and Sunni as the best tafseer in last 1400 years and he has done tafseer of Quran from verses of Quran itself.

Talib bhai, I don't think you can separate life of Ahl al Bayt(as) from deen, Rasulullah & Ahl al bayt are preservers and living manifestation of guidance in Quran. I know you did not mean it in a negative way, but It is nevertheless an important point to highlighted.

Also along with Quran read and contemplate Nahjul balagha, it is nothing but explaination of Quran in Kalaam of Moula Ali(as)

TalibBhai

Re: One step that will change your life and bring more understanding about Islam

Unread post by TalibBhai » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm

I think it is useless to fight with thugs anymore because they have accumulated lots of power now and fools will continue following them. no matter how much truth your try and explain them.

so for momeen it is best to now work on their own nafs and start preparing for akhirah.

thank you @ abde yamani

RedBox

Unread post by RedBox » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:03 am

I have read complete quran twice so far.

From this ramadan I have started little sabaq format for my kids to participate where we read Quran with translation.

They are very happy and interested with this format.

TalibBhai

Unread post by TalibBhai » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am

I dont think one life is enough to undersand whole Quran, but we can try and understand its meaning as much as possible.

https://almizan.org/

above link is tafsir by Allama Tatatabai.

Al-Mizan fi Tafsir al-Quran (22 Vols) – الميزان في تفسير القرآن

yuzarsif

Unread post by yuzarsif » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:36 am

Who Are the Awliyaa (Friends of Allah)? by Ustad Nauman Ali Khan.

youtu.be/OGjLwOMym1k

Watch this, nicely explained the concept of Awliya and the fake awaliya we have now a days.

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 am

TalibBhai wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am Bismillah Al Rahman Al Rahim

Dear Readers,

W.salaam

Dua maa yaad
whose version of translation should we read.What is the authenticity of that person.What is your authenticity so that we risk our religion and beliefs on your recommendations.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Guy Sam
If you have open mind then you listen and make your judgement of right and wrong BUT unfortunately ABDES as word implies are SLAVE and have no free thinking so depend on their MASTERS to do things for them.

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 am

SBM wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm Guy Sam
If you have open mind then you listen and make your judgement of right and wrong BUT unfortunately ABDES as word implies are SLAVE and have no free thinking so depend on their MASTERS to do things for them.
u r so prejudiced u urself donot have an open mind to accept others beliefs so tat actually makes all ur seekhaman ni waato pointless

TalibBhai

Unread post by TalibBhai » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am

Guy Sam

you will get your answer once you read the translation of the Quran once in your life.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 am

Guy-Sam
Since U do not know me but many on this forum know about my open mind.
Subscribing to the title of ABDE is not the sign of openness

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:00 am

SBM wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 am Guy-Sam
i dont know about you but from what i can judge from your posts you are prejudiced that you are right and others are wrong,things have to be ur way only

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 am

TalibBhai wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am Guy Sam

you will get your answer once you read the translation of the Quran once in your life.
Whose version of translation?and what is ur validity

objectiveobserver53

Unread post by objectiveobserver53 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:37 am

guy_sam2005 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 am

I believe any version is better than the Mufaddal Saifuddin version…because his version changes with the wind…..cut little girls one day, do not cut the next….women should only study home science….whereas the Quran urges both men and women to seek ilm…without restriction….

TalibBhai

Unread post by TalibBhai » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:42 am

kyaa bolne kaa re ab tere ko.

andhe ko rasta dikha sakte hai

jo aakhwala andha hota hai use koi rasta nahi dikha sakta

tu aakh wala andha hai

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:55 am

TalibBhai wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:42 am

tu aakh wala andha hai
so this is how u validate urself and ur version of quraan.and xpect people to heed to ur advice....

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:57 am

objectiveobserver53 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:37 am

I believe any version is better than the Mufaddal Saifuddin version…because his version changes with the wind…..cut little girls one day, do not cut the next….women should only study home science….whereas the Quran urges both men and women to seek ilm…without restriction….
u mean any version? u sure about it.. most people have read the wrong version and that is why world is in chaos

guy_sam2005

Unread post by guy_sam2005 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:58 am

my question to talib bhai was quite simple whose version and why and ur validity to expect ppl heed ur advice...........

objectiveobserver53

Unread post by objectiveobserver53 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 am

Last edited by objectiveobserver53 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

objectiveobserver53

Unread post by objectiveobserver53 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:11 am

objectiveobserver53 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 am
guy_sam2005 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:57 am

u mean any version? u sure about it.. most people have read the wrong version and that is why world is in chaos
Chaos is caused by people using the Almighty’s words to serve their agenda, just like Muffy boy is trying to use it to control his mad throng. Chaos is not caused by peaceful folks interested in understanding Allah’s words through study and contemplation.
What interpretation of the Quran causes people to lick plates and break toilets or kiss the seat his butt was on? What interpretation causes him to gather masses in the middle of a raging pandemic?

TalibBhai

Unread post by TalibBhai » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:55 am

guy_sam2005 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:55 am
TalibBhai wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:42 am

tu aakh wala andha hai
so this is how u validate urself and ur version of quraan.and xpect people to heed to ur advice....
I validated my self very well in short and simple post, :lol:

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:31 pm

guy_sam2005 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:00 am
SBM wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 am Guy-Sam
i dont know about you but from what i can judge from your posts you are prejudiced that you are right and others are wrong,things have to be ur way only
I think you are mistaking me for your AAMIL

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:03 pm

I think the answer to guy_sam's question is simple. If you are apprehensive about whose translation, the best approach would be to learn Arabic and understand the Quran yourself. There are many free courses available on the web which will teach arabic in detail. Nouman Ali Khan's course is excellent and free. Requires a lot of time and effort, but I am sure you won't spend any time.

The reason you ask such questions is not because you genuinely want to understand the Quran from the most impartial teacher, it is simply because you want to create doubt for all translations of the Quran.

Biradar

Unread post by Biradar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:10 pm

The Quran is a complex text and understanding it is not simple. It is not a matter of merely reading a translation or even in the original classical Arabic. The structure of the text is such that it requires significant background to fully comprehend, and unlike say the Bible, there is no common thematic thread that allows "reading" it from "cover-to-cover" in a comprehensible manner. In fact, as everyone knows the arrangement of the Quranic text that we possess at present is not the sequence in which the text was revealed. The fact that the text was revealed piecemeal, at least historically, means that the understanding of the text itself should be in a piecemeal manner.

That said, most modern translations are very similar to each other and one can consult any of them. The best translations are one in which the Arabic text is side-by-side. Having access to a list of Quranic words and their classical meanings also helps. There are excellent online resources now in which every single verse of the Quran is given along with its detailed grammatical morphology, every word explained and number of important translations given side-by-side. You can compare them for yourself and compare against the ordinal Arabic. This can be a rewarding experience.

Beside translations (and the original Arabic text) one should remember that there is a phenomenally voluminous tafsir tradition starting from the time of the Prophet himself down to the present day. Many of these tafsirs are classified as "Sunni", "Shia" or even "Sufi". However, in my opinion, this type of nomenclature is not useful and perhaps even harmful. The classical tafsirs of Tabari is a good one and another tafsir that is worth consulting is "Tafsir al-Jalalayn" ("Tafsir of the Two Jalals"). Both of these are available online, including in English translations. A modern "Shia" tafsir is "Tafsir al-Mizan" by the great Allamah Tabatabai. It is only partially translated into English.

Now, the Quran itself says (Q 31:27) that the meanings of the Divine Speech (i.e. the Quran) are well-nigh inexhaustible. Hence, based on this, there are an enormous number of esoteric commentaries (for whole or portions of the Quran) that were written over the centuries. Many of them were written by Sufis and a very few by Ismailis also. Except for a very few works, though, Ismailis do not have a tradition of tafsir literature. Partly this is because of the central idea in the various Ismaili branches that one needs a divinely appointed guide to understand the Quran and the sharia. Hence, in theory at least, the Imams and in their absence the da'is, serve as the "Speaking Quran" and they and only they are authorized to interpret the holy text.

Sadly, theory and reality are very different. Apparently the Imam is in seclusion and the so-called da'is have adopted a lifestyle of luxury and wealth, preferring hunting lions and elephants and seeking photo-ops with notorious politicians than worrying about the community. In fact, the reality of the matter is that in this day and age of freely available knowledge and facilities for self-study and personal practices, these people do not hold much value anyway and it is best to ignore their shenanigans. Islam, in its ultimate essence, is a religion of personal salvation and you and only you are responsible for yourself.

Interestingly, Ahmed Ali Raj has produced a translation and tafsir of the Quran within the principles of Ismailism. See http://www.thebohras.com/quran.html for an audio presentation of this by Ahmed Ali Raj himself. It is a pretty good tafsir and quite enjoyable. Unfortunately the online audio has only a few of the recordings. I do not know if anyone has transcribed these into English.

There are other Ismaili tafsirs, mostly of only parts of the Quran. For example, there is a partial esoteric commentary by al-Shahrastani and also one by the 33rd Sulaymani da'i. In a similar genre of esoteric commentaries are works produced by the Sufi Masters. These are based on an experiential understanding of the Quran and not just a scholarly approach. (The difference can be understood as follows: you can study a map of Paris and learn by heart all its streets and monuments. However, unless you actually visit the city and experience for yourself what the city has to offer you will only obtain a superficial understanding. This is essentially the Sufi way. One can spend hours in scholarly analysis; however they all are insignificant compared to a single moment in the Divine Presence).

All said and done, one must realize that the Quran is an aural book, i.e. it must be heard and not merely read. ("Hearing" here does not mean hearing by the ears but by the heart that permeates the complete being of a human and allows him to transcend this physical existence in the Ocean of Matter into the atemporal and perpetual existence in Alam al-Ibda). However, this is a difficult process and perhaps impossible for most of us.

Finally, I want to point out the irony of the follower of Muffy who accuses others of being narrow- and close-minded. I mean, here is a man (Muffy I mean) who spends his life in preaching a most narrow and absurd interpretation of Islam, spends most of his life living a life of luxury and decadence, collects dollars 24/7 by selling everything he can, including audiences and expensive hats, yet his follower has the gall to tell others they are close minded! It boggles the mind that such people with total lack of self-awareness can exist. Yet they do. Sad and pathetic, really.

bohra_manus

Unread post by bohra_manus » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm

I have a question on the matter of the holy Quran. It is not meant to discredit anyone but my sincere attempt to understand the existence of the holy book in the present form. Seeking guidance from the few learned folks on this forum:
It is well known that verses in the Quran were revealed to the Prophet (SAW) piece by piece at different times in his life.
Who was writing it down?
When was the first ever written version made? by whom?
I remember reading somewhere that the Quran was complied several years after the death of the Prophet (SAW). How can one guarantee the authenticity of the written version versus the actual revelation? We know how easy it is to get facts distorted when communicated from one person to another?
I read in this thread that the order in which the verses appear in the Quran are not the same in which these were revealed to the Prophet (SAW). Why the compilation order is different?

Thank you in advance.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:06 pm

that the Quran was complied several years after the death of the Prophet
Bohra Manus
I am not an scholar and your question can be answered by people like anajmi and or Biradar who I consider as more and better knowledgeable then me
BUT
compilation may have occurred several years later after his death in the current form but as much as I know that Once Angel Jibril brought the message, Prophet did re-recite and it was jotted down by people around him. So unlike Bible, Quran is totally unadulterated for its message and revelations.
From Google search
According to tradition, several of Muhammad's companions served as scribes, recording the revelations. Shortly after the prophet's death, the Quran was compiled by the companions, who had written down or memorized parts of it. ... During prayers, the Quran is recited only in Arabic.

Biradar

Unread post by Biradar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 pm

According to Islamic tradition the Quran was revealed to the Prophet over a period of years, starting in 610 AD continuing through his Farewell Pilgrimage (632) at which the final verses were revealed. The first verses that were revealed, according to Imam Jafar as-Sadiq are the Bismillah followed by the first five verses (according to Abd Allah b. Abbas) of the what is now the Q96 (al-'Alaq) of the present text of the Quran. According to Imam Jafar as-Sadiq the last full Surah to be revealed was Q110 (al-Nasr). Incidentally, the first verse (Q96:1) revealed says "Recite! In the Name of thy Lord ..". Hence, realize that the very first verse of the Quran says it is meant to be recited and heard and not merely "read".

Ibn Abbas also mentions that the complete Quran was actually sent down in a single whole on the Night of al-Qard. Some Sufis maintain that the Quran is actually a revelation of Muhammad unto Muhammad via the means of Gibraeel. One must realize that in some sense history in Islam occurs on two levels: one spatio-temporal world in which the Prophet appears and brings the message of Islam, and a supra-sensory world in which, according to the Prophet himself, "I was a prophet when Adam was between water and clay."

According to tradition, after the Prophet passed away Abu Bakr ordered Zayd b. Thabit to collect together the Quran. It is said that Zayd was one of the great Companions of the Prophet and also one who served as his personal amanuensis (i.e. someone who took down the dictation of the Prophet). Zayd collected the various fragments of the Quran and eventually the final codification of the present text was done during the time of Uthman b. Affan.

According to some Shia traditions Ali b. Abi Talib also had his own recension of the Quran. It is said that after Ali performed the burial rites over the Prophet he took an oath that he would not don an outer garment except for congregational prayer, until he collected the Quran, as he was charged by the Prophet to do so. The Prophet himself had instructed Ali on the sequence of the Quran. It is possible that this recension contained both the Quran as revealed to the Prophet as well as Ali's commentaries on those verses. It is reported that Ali and his slave Qanbar brought the completed text (which apparently was very voluminous) but the people rejected it. Ali then exclaimed that "By God! You will never see it again. My duty was only to inform you when I had collected it".

Now, how can one be sure that there was no distortion in the Quran as revealed to the Prophet and collected into the text we now possess? Actually, the fact that all Muslims accept the present collection as authentic and that it occurred very early on (not years later as for the Bible) means that very likely the text is accurate. Also, the Quran itself says (for example, Q15:9) that Allah Himself is the guardian of the "al-Zikr", i.e. the Quran. Though, it is possible that this refers to the Eternal Tablet.

There is actually no real consensus on the exact order of the revealed text. If you open a Quran text you will see some notations to indicate where it was revealed (Mecca or Medina, for example) but even this sometimes in doubt. Many classical scholars of the Quran have compiled lists in which they think the verses were revealed. Confusingly, the order of verses in a single Surah may also not be the order in which they were revealed. However, this actually matters little except to emphasize what I said earlier: understanding the Quran is not a linear process and merely "reading" a translation cover-to-cover is not going to be enough. You need a deep and immersive study consulting several tafsirs and other historical and exegetical material. In fact, I would venture that the tawil literature (both Ismaili and Sufi) that explains the esoteric meaning of the Quran should not be approached without first understanding the explicit and manifest text. In the classical Fatimid understanding also, as explained for example by Sayedna Hamid al-din Kirmani, one must accept both the zahir and the batin and not just the latter. Hence, unlike the Aga Khan Ismailis the Bohras have not abandoned traditional prayers and rituals even when their inner meaning is known.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:44 pm

First, the preservation of the Quran is guaranteed by Allah in the Quran itself.

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ

Behold, it is We Ourselves who have bestowed from on high, step by step, this reminder? and, behold, it is We who shall truly guard it [from all corruption].

So that answers the bigger doubt of the questioner. There should be no doubt that the Quran is in the form Allah has desired for it. The second question then is how did that form come into being. When the Quran was being revealed there were sahabas who were noting it down, but more importantly there were Sahaba who were memorizing the ayahs of the Quran. The Quran is transmitted through the heart first and foremost. It was put into the written form for weak people like us who couldn’t memorize it.

During the last Ramadan Jibraeel (as) confirmed the Quran with the prophet (ﷺ) twice. The Quran was in the heart of the prophet (ﷺ) and in the hearts of the Sahaba. It was later put in book form during the khilafat of Umar and Uthman to eliminate disputes that had crept up because not all ayahs of the Quran were delivered to all people and if someone heard someone reciting an ayah that they had never heard before, they started casting doubt on it. Hence the reason for compiling it in the form of a book and distributing it for the benefit of all. May Allah grant jannah to all who helped bring the word of Allah to us.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:48 pm

Though, it is possible that this refers to the Eternal Tablet.

The eternal tablet is not revealed. (Nazzalna) only the Quran is revealed. So no this ayah does not refer to the eternal tablet.