Recently witnessed the online ziyafat thing and I am appalled by how dumb people are

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
awakenedsoul

Recently witnessed the online ziyafat thing and I am appalled by how dumb people are

Unread post by awakenedsoul » Wed May 05, 2021 4:34 pm

The whole program lasted less than 40 minutes. There were over a hundred ziyafats from different places and people with highest waajebaat. According to what I heard each of those ziyafats costed over $10000 and the waajebaat figures should be six figures to count as high.

The ziyafat method: each family comes as a group and stands in front of the camera/mic. They get 10 seconds to say whatever they want, not a second more. Then SMS gives a salami followed by his trademark "khuda ghani barakat aape" aaand next!

Now the even more idiotic thing. While the online ziyafats are going on, the "commoners" are lined up as sheep in the other venues and pass by the camera doing deedaar and they are told that SMS is looking (they probably have multiple separate side screens set up in front of him. Or not. Who can say with these people). After these people come out they are of course asked for shukur najwa which should obviously be faakhir to reflect the huge privilege they just received. And those people happily oblige.

If we do the math, in less than 40 minutes, SMS probably made around 2-3 million dollars? And I've not even included those high waajebaat figures in this estimation. All done from his private safe place with the use of a simple video conference setup.

This just makes my blood boil. There are people dying. Where I live, entire starving families beg on the streets. There are so many people who desperately need help in our community. And this is how people spend money. The guy taking it is the worst of course. But the people being part of this foolishness are to blame too. With the whole covid situation, SMS had the opportunity to actually do some good but of course his main objective is to keep the money coming in. Also, how busy is he in his isolation that he can't even give his followers quality time?

Kaka Akela

Re: Recently witnessed the online ziyafat thing and I am appalled by how dumb people are

Unread post by Kaka Akela » Wed May 05, 2021 8:42 pm

I have heard a different figure for ziyafat which is almost 1/3 of what you quoted, close to $3,500.
So your estimate of raised amount will also be 1/3.
Nobody's wajebaat is in 6 figures in USA, mostly in 5 figures.
He needs this money to run all the myriad organizations within dawat, including 4 jameas, Kothar and many many other institutions.
If your wajebaat was beyond certain amount, you could still get to araz it w/o doing ziyafat, there was no hand twisting.

RedBox

Re: Recently witnessed the online ziyafat thing and I am appalled by how dumb people are

Unread post by RedBox » Thu May 06, 2021 2:51 am

Every thing you said is true.

Ab ye batao iskaa karr kyaa sakte hai?

Hamari aukaat kyaa hai?

RedBox

Unread post by RedBox » Thu May 06, 2021 2:53 am

Fools are willing to throw money at muffy instead of helping to deserving people.

What can we do about it?

RedBox

Unread post by RedBox » Sun May 09, 2021 9:25 am

When Small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set.

~Lin Yutang