Funeral rites to one who commits suicide

If you have questions or want to share knowledge about Dawoodi Bohra religions and rituals please post them here. Any discussion outside the framework of Dawoodi Bohra beliefs and tradition is not allowed. This forum is primarily for sharing of information and knowledge.
Mkenya

Funeral rites to one who commits suicide

Unread post by Mkenya » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:41 am

I believe the funeral rights - janaza namaaz, burial, ritual, etc. - of someone who commits suicide are different from those who expire due to natural causes, illness or accident. A few years ago the janaza namaaz of a young man who had committed suicide was performed in the mosque. His qabr was within the Bohra allocation in the city cemetery but at the extreme end from the other deceased. When people started assembling at the house of the parents for Tijia Fateha the distraught father of the young man announced that the head Amil had ordered that no Fateha, Quran khani, or taziat be offered. Also, no Mishtaan was to be placed in the thaal for Fateha.

For all those enlightened people in this forum, please let me and others know what Islam says about this matter. Is there any mention in the Quran, Hadith, etc. I would think that Bohras would have their own diktat. I would be interested to know from people who have attended such burials.

SBM

Re: Funeral rites to one who commits suicide

Unread post by SBM » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 pm

We had an incident where Aamil thought the Bohra committed suicide by consuming drugs and he announced that go and thru his body in the gutter. I contacted a local Sunni Moulana and explained him, He agreed to perform the Janazah Namaz and asked Allaha for forgiveness for the deceased and was later buried with full Muslim rites
His explanation was: Even though it may be a sin to commit suicide, but who am I to judge, his fate will be decided by Allaha at the day of judgment. He further stated that no one knows what was his mental condition at the time of death, if he was insane and committed suicide then it is not a suicide and if the Moulana refused to perform the Namaz not knowing the reason, then he would be held accountable by Allaha. Allaha knows best
Later it was found that person did not commit suicide but died of natural causes of heart problems.