A poll: Does our Dawat need Reforms?

Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse nor discourage any survey done by different organizations or persons. It only allows space and a platform for surveys conducted that pertain to community matters.

There is a need for Transparency & Accountability in the functioning of Dawa't and jamaats.

You may select 1 option

View results

gulab jamun

Re: A poll: Does our Dawat need Reforms?

Unread post by gulab jamun » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:54 pm

AliZahra wrote:I am agreeable to the revised draft presented by Humsafar
As to gulab jamun's questions about what can be done with the results of the survey and what kind of actions can be taken using the results of the survey, I think we can address these matters after looking at the results of the survey
Thanks AliZahra. It might be a bit challenging to think about what actions can be taken as a result of the survey. I don't think we should wait to have the results and then plan our actions. I believe that we need to have some broad ideas for actions before we proceed. We need to be clear about our strategy otherwise this effort will be doomed to fail. As has been mentioned by others, similar initiatives have been undertaken in the past with little effect. I don't want this effort to end up in a similar way. Therefore, once again I'd like us all to think through what potential actions can be taken with the results.

Let us think this through. For example, we could publish the results in an article. If anyone has good connections to the media (print and TV), we could provide this information for publishing. This is one action. What else could we do?

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm

We can publish the results on the Forum and Website and distribute the links through social media and other channels.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:03 am

Thank you Admin. This would be great.

juzerali

Unread post by juzerali » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 am

So far we have only 58 correspondents. That is even less than the number of reformists let alone mainstream bohras. I don't think this result will matter much.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm

juzerali wrote:So far we have only 58 correspondents. That is even less than the number of reformists let alone mainstream bohras. I don't think this result will matter much.
The survey has a small response rate because of two reasons:
It is being carried out in the http://www.dawoodi-bohras.com website where membership is largely limited to reformists.
There are only a limited number of reformists who actually visit this site regularly.

Therefore, the low response rate. What we are trying to do with the global survey is to overcome these hurdles and do a survey that can truly attract a much higher response rate.

Nietzsche

Unread post by Nietzsche » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Sponsor this poll via Facebook, and perhaps have links sent out to Bohra emails (not sure how to get a hold of all of those accounts). If any of you have contacts that have access to hundreds of emails, send them to the admin. I think we've all seen how useful mass, unsolicited emails can be to get people talking.

hsnhussain

Unread post by hsnhussain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:25 am

There are a few yahoo groups with mass bohra subscriptions.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:27 am

Thanks "Nietzsche" and "hsnhussein" for the ideas. We need more such ideas to make sure that we have a very wide reach.

I think that spreading the word individually also can have a strong effect. If each of us shared this link to people we know via the following ways (see below), then the word will spread very quickly:

Facebook
Whatsapp
Twitter
Email and (mass email mailing lists)
Fatemidawat website (if their Admin agrees to post the link)
This website (dawodi-bohras.com) of course!

What else can we do? What other channels are we forgetting? How can we make sure that the maximum number of people are aware about this survey?
Last edited by gulab jamun on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 am

Dear brothers and sisters,

I feel as if there has not been sufficient discussion/debate on what we can do with the results of this global survey. Can we please have some more discussion on this topic?

The survey is ready to go live. Though I have not released it because I really want us to have some more clarity on what we can do with the results.

Thank you!

AgnosticTheist

Unread post by AgnosticTheist » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 am

gulab jamun wrote:Dear brothers and sisters,

I feel as if there has not been sufficient discussion/debate on what we can do with the results of this global survey. Can we please have some more discussion on this topic?

The survey is ready to go live. Though I have not released it because I really want us to have some more clarity on what we can do with the results.

Thank you!
Maybe put an article in a national daily? A good written article based on the outcome of the survey along with the survey results.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:32 pm

AgnosticTheist wrote:Maybe put an article in a national daily? A good written article based on the outcome of the survey along with the survey results.
Good idea! Thanks very much!

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Another idea that just struck me was to do a review of all the newspapers that did an article on a topic related to the current "succession struggle." Perhaps we could contact those journalists and their editors to run an article on the results of the survey.

A Google search with "Bohra succession" as key brought out the following articles:
The Bohras: Understanding Shi'a Succession in a Muslim Community - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rizwan-ma ... 24082.html
The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimants Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rizwan-ma ... 87546.html
Who is new Syedna? Trouble brews as half-brother stakes claim - http://indianexpress.com/article/cities ... kes-claim/
Dawoodi Bohra succession issue: former chief justice pledges allegiance to Syedna’s uncle - http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 78939.aspx
A perilous transition - http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/cove ... 266169.cms
Succession war breaks out in Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin's family - http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-s ... ly-1954417

We could contact the editors of these newspapers and share with them the results of the survey.

What does everyone think?

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:27 pm

gulab jamun,
As we said in a PM to you, please do not worry to much about what we are going to do with the results. Send us the final set of questions, we will look them over and let's put it out as soon as we can. Let's get maximum number of people to take the survey, and the we can have an article written with analysis, trends etc.
Thank you.

way2go

Unread post by way2go » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 am

Yes! Definitely...

summer123

Unread post by summer123 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:12 am

just read this article....
Attachments

Bori85

Unread post by Bori85 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

summer123 wrote:just read this article....
This is so common, even here in |Mississauga jamaat, the previous Amil AAA(triple A) looted jamaat money when he was ousted from here and sent to Dahod. This type of loot by the committee members and Amils of all jamaat is not new.

New

Unread post by New » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I am not trying to pour cold water on the poll. With the viewers of this forum, the likely out come is, well you know. Also keep in mind that we have 53 shades of Bohras and each one has a different view of what the reform should be. There are 2 ways of making an impact; 1. Legal and 2; mass exodus or non-coperation (satyagrah). No zadas are going to listen to anything as their arrogance and money clout is sky high. May be we should concentrate on 2-3 burning issues and defeat them their. These are, FGM, Iddat and Money collection. FGM and Money collection is relatively easy (really?) to address through the court systems. We all abdes are chicken, turkey and bakra combined in to one.

New

Unread post by New » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm

In the last one month, our community has gotten very much spot light by the media. Let us do the poll and give these to the media, as suggested by many. I am all for it. After 40 days the lime light may die. The time is now. I think zadas may run scared, if not now may be later. The poll can be run 6 months or 12 months later. Increase in numbers may be scary.
The poll is for reforms and should not be for choosing the Dai. We are still one community. For example, the SKQ has not announced the policy on FGM, Iddat and calling his children as zadas and bhasaabs.
Please, adminbhai remove the registration so more can participate. 70 vs. 1.2 milions. Adminbhai you are doing a wonderful job. It must be taking a lots of time.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks for your comments. The voting is open to public now, and not just restricted to registered members. Please spread the word.
Also we'll soon put out a global survey on surverymonkey as discussed above. We were relying on "gulabjamun" to do this but he/she is not be active for quite sometime, so we will go ahead and do it ourselves.
Thanks.

abbasb

Unread post by abbasb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Good start of awareness! I have already taken steps to spread through whatsapp groups, trust me... it will spread like fire

Bohra spring

Unread post by Bohra spring » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:45 pm

One method of making successful change if for a few or individual reformists to take one cause and live and die with it. Sorry to use this analogy but be a dog with a bone.

with Az permission I can help with hunting and make it a news item in Europe ,
some one can take money laundering and USA / canada is a good place,
Oz can stick with fgm

We need champions for :
human rights and uk is a good location
democracy and transparency, India can be the place and leverage SKQ initiatives
ideology Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, Iran is not an option if SA or UAE are involved

I don't know if idat is that a big issue ?
Misaq was in my list but SKQ stumbled on it, well too bad this needs to go. But this can be combined with democracy as it should also cover social boycott that is barat. But lets get a few out of the way and hopefully the dominoes will fall on their own.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 pm

The message is now circulating on watsup like wildfire ! Kudos for the one who took the initiative.

gulab jamun

Unread post by gulab jamun » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Admin wrote:Thanks for your comments. The voting is open to public now, and not just restricted to registered members. Please spread the word.
Also we'll soon put out a global survey on surverymonkey as discussed above. We were relying on "gulabjamun" to do this but he/she is not be active for quite sometime, so we will go ahead and do it ourselves.
Thanks.
Dear Admin,

Many thanks for taking this forward and getting the survey online - much appreciated. Apologies for my silence - I was on duty travel and was not able to access internet regularly.

If I may suggest, please put the link to the survey directly on your start page so that more people become aware of it.

Naturally, I have also completed the survey and have shared it among my networks.

New

Unread post by New » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Dear Admin, I agree that this surveuy should be on the front page so we can share the site and link at the same time. The thread often disappears and visitors may not be aware of it.

New

Unread post by New » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Gulab Jamun bhai you are very sweet. Hope the survey appears on the front page with exposed questions. Make it as easy as possible for every one.

New

Unread post by New » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 pm

I see the numbers are not moving. Only 104. Can some one try some additional messaging system. We need a thousand if not thousands.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:37 pm

The real survey is this one:
http://dawoodi-bohras.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=9318
642 people have completed it so far. We need more participation.

New

Unread post by New » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Dear Adminbhai, thanks for creating the link. We need a straight forward link as this one goes through steps. Please, provide us with the link which can be embedded in an email etc. This will encourage participation. We need to explain also that we need the e-mail to avoid some one partcipating multiple times. Thanks.

New

Unread post by New » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Also instructions please about how to proceed with Survey Monkey. Thanks.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Good idea, this is the link that can be sent with an email:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YHNTBKW

Instructions are simple:
Click on the link.
Complete 10 questions.
Click done.
You will get a summary of how others have voted.
You can edit your response but can't submit multiple times.