Where is secularism in Mumbai

This forum covers a whole range of issues: from international politics and economy to human rights, from corporate domination and greed to environmental crises...
coolguy

Where is secularism in Mumbai

Unread post by coolguy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:15 am

I want to buy a flat in the posh locations of Mumbai
but I cannot ... because under the veil of Non-Veg they ( the society) is refusing transfer or permission.
I want this forum to take off and provide grass root movement to oblirate the double standards this social environment we have in Mumbai and other affluent places.
According to a recent poll 74% of Indians in India eat non-veg ... so who are they excluding
Let roll here with a statement and a stand

tahir

Re: Where is secularism in Mumbai

Unread post by tahir » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm

Do you practice a faith where there is no discrimination in entering the mosque or mausoleum? At the core of your belief, do you have it that your ilk is faithwise superior and only you guys will go to heaven by virtue of your worshipping a man born in flesh and blood who claims divinity.

If you do not practice internal secularism, I think it is hypocritic of you to expect the world to treat you at par. I mean if you don't 'believe' you are one of them, they would not consider you as one of them. Doesn't matter how 'innocuously' you practice your faith.

You cannot have your palidu and sip it too.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:53 am

On a second thought, what actually is 'posh' location for you? Where those people live who do NOT believe that the dai is infallible? According to kothar these people are not only NOT a part of bohra society but they should not be talked to. The most 'posh' location for you should the place where people of faith live together and share the same ethos - ie the bohri mohalla.

You are trying to escape the ghetto while strongly sharing the ethos and beliefs of the people of the ghetto and believing in their superiority over the people who do not eat non veg food.

Following is an exerpt from the interview of Badri Jamali posted on the forum sometime back:
Q : What about the practice of social boycott?
A : What is society? How do you define a society? A group of people with some common factor binding them. It may be common thinking, it may be common taste, it may be anything, right? Now this is a society, a religious society, where the common factor is the faith. And a particular way of behaving and adhering to the faith. Somebody says “I believe in Syedna. I also believe he is the 52nd Dai. But I believe his is fallible.” That’s his faith. That common factor no longer exists between him and me. Because I believe Syedna is infallible. So he is no longer part of the society.
Now, how will you feel comfortable with the people whose way of behaving is more different from yours than those who are socially still bohras but don't believe in the infallibility of Dai?

qutub_mamajiwala

Unread post by qutub_mamajiwala » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:29 am

Indian Secularism: The God that Failed?

But why did secularism fail in the first place? There are mainly two approaches to respond to such a question, one rather straightforward, the other relatively more complex. The straightforward answer is that secularism failed because it was never practised in India. In the name of secularism, what was performed was a disguised form of communalism, appeasement of minorities, vote-bank and identity politics, and socially and culturally divisive governmentalism

http://www.dnaindia.com/analysis/column ... ed-2377077