Tajikistan’s biggest development implementing agency - AKDN

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
salim

Tajikistan’s biggest development implementing agency - AKDN

Unread post by salim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) has grown to become Tajikistan’s biggest development implementing agency, is working for improving the lives of people in the country.

In Tajikistan AKDN employees 3000-4000 Tajikis + around 50,000 volunteers -

"Today we have high level professionals from Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, Oxford and other well-known universities doing voluntary work for our network. The basis of our success, I would say, is voluntary manpower. People spend 3, 5, or even 10 years of their lives providing volunteer services and many students take a semester break to commit to AKDN activities. Here in Tajikistan we also have many locals who help us as volunteers."

http://www.theworldfolio.com/interviews ... ency/3421/

Hats off to those volunteers who are making life of people of Tajikistan easier.

Mkenya

Re: Tajikistan’s biggest development implementing agency - AKDN

Unread post by Mkenya » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 pm

AKDN (Aga Khan Development Network) has been active for years in the upliftment of underpreviledged people in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Its activities range from childhood nutrition, midwifery, education, farming skills, health education, etc. The focus is always towards the rural areas where delivery of these services are minimal or non-existent.

The Ismaili community worldwide has a data base of professionals in various fields who are solicited to volunteer for AKDN's projects. It is considered an honour to be offered a role in these projects. Members of the Ismaili community are very enterprising and have been very successful, particularly in North America.

In Canada the community organises charity runs and golf tournaments and raises millions of dollars each year. All such funds go towards the AKDN projects. The community has a prominent face in the public and government by hosting citizenship ceremonies, volunteering at community functions, organising blood-donation drives, and clinics for aging citizens.

I have had the good fortune of visiting a few of its projects an Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Hunza Valley, I was impressed by the professionalism in which these projects are run.

salim

Unread post by salim » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Since zakat is not monitored and forced, I am assuming the collections are usually low. So community has to organize charity runs and golf tournaments and cultural fundraising events. They do the same in many different countries. Many Ismailis like to donate this way.

JavedhJuma

Unread post by JavedhJuma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Volunteers are not just Ismailis, there are non-Ismailis too. Many are doctors, Professors, Nurses, Teachers, etc.

Zakat is compulsory but how many Ismailis pay zakat on regular basis and who keeps count of it? It is all upto a person's conscience. It is true many Ismailis contribute to projects in heavy sums. This does not substitute Zakat.

Even during partnership walks there are a lot of non-Ismailis participating and contributing. It is a good cause and people know money is definitely helping Third World Countries.

I was once returning from Houston from Partnership Walk, and was wearing my Partnership Walk shirt. I met a white guy on the plane and he asked me if I was returning from Houston partnership walk. I said, "yes". He said he was from Boston and he goes for Partnership Walks all over USA. This was very heart warming.