Heaven On Earth: A Journey Through Shariah Law.

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
ghulam muhammed

Heaven On Earth: A Journey Through Shariah Law.

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Book: Heaven on Earth: A journey through Shari’a law

Edited by: Sadakat Kadri

Publisher: The Bodley Head, London

Pages: 316

Price: £ 12.99

In the beginning, and for long thereafter, the pious men of Islam knew better than to play god. Obey me in matters of religion, but in worldly affairs remember that I am just like one of you, said Prophet Mohammed. In his acceptance speech immediately after being chosen the first Caliph of Islam, Abu Bakr told fellow Muslims: support me as long as I follow the teachings of Islam, oppose me if you find me going astray. The short-tempered second Caliph Umar seemed to believe that the egalitarian teachings of Islam should not be taken too far when it came to gender relations. Yet he had no qualms bowing to an old woman who challenged him in public. “When Allah and his Prophet have prescribed no limit, who are you, Umar, to place a ceiling on the amount of mehr a man must pay to his bride on marriage?” she demanded. “You are right and I am wrong”, the caliph meekly conceded, adding, “it seems everyone remembers Islam’s teachings better than me”.

This is common knowledge among Muslims. In his book, Heaven on Earth: A journey through Shari’a law, India-born Sadakat Kadri brings a fresh perspective. Example: “At the time of the Abbasid caliphate’s foundation, traditions of judicial restraint were so ingrained that scholars would weep in court rather than judge in the name of god”.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/whose ... t/933553/2