progs beware

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
humanbeing

Re: progs beware

Unread post by humanbeing » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Murtaza

Thanks for the link. It was a insightful debate to read. I saw both the gentlemen had equal valid points. I do not indulge in deep religious debates as my knowledge is limited in such contexts.

If your intention is to highlight Ali Asghar Engineer’s fallibility, I don’t care whether he was right or wrong. Resorting to violence is no solution to discipline a person who has publicly stated his opinion against Kothar. If kothar holds any truth or knowledge, then he can be proven wrong in a public debate. As we say, Knowledge or truth is a gem which cannot be tarnished.

Also I m not patronizing Ali Asghar Engineer nor do I despise him. He is just another person living on this planet. I don’t support idea of uttering laanats without knowledge or cause.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
mustafanalwalla wrote:This site by the way, is also another classic example of sheep mentality. One particular member will start a topic of abusing and mud-slinging and pretty soon, you have a horde of like-minded people doing the same. and this is true more for the reformist than for the abde's
I beg to differ on this point, sheep mentality is extremely dominant in our majlises or by large in our community. As I stated in my example, when the singer of madeh Ghanu Jeevo Uttered laanats on AAE (Ali Asghar Engineer) everyone in chorus enjoyed uttering laanats on him, although most of them had no idea why or who they are uttering laanats on or under the false provocation of jamaat they are uttering laanats.
mustafanalwalla wrote:And yes, many bohra youth are going through the same dilemna that you and i are, but we are doing something constructivley about it. we are not hiding inside the ranks and sniping, we are standing in the front lines and asking.
What constructively I can do, when I see wrongs in the community. Forget Kothar levels, even at local jamats when I have raised a simple objection to obvious slavery practices, I was rebuked, my father summoned and mother ridiculed in social circles. Also who are raising voice on this forum against jamats and kothar are also rebelling in their own capacity in respective jamaats. Not everyone is powerful and influential enough to come out in open and invite trouble, wrath and insecurity. One may not be afraid of his / her consequence, but get weak for family.

One may not be asking or firing from front lines, but subtly and silently rebelling within the system. People pay up out of fear and affiliation, bitch and crib sitting in thaals, whine and mock at social circles. If these were limited people I could blame them wrong, but what I observe is a sad reality wherever and whenever I have observed, at different places. There is a disturbing dumbness, denial or euphoria. The seemingly devout with flowing beard, pressed SKT singing praises of Sayedna’s regime in public will crib, whine and mock the system and its corrupt officeholders in private. This is a disturbing hypocrisy a unfortunate underlying reality of our community.