Allama Iqbal: Shikwa, Jawab e Shikwa

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
Humsafar

Allama Iqbal: Shikwa, Jawab e Shikwa

Unread post by Humsafar » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:04 pm

In another thread Iqbal's poem was quoted (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11099&p=174144#p174138) and it is such a coincidence that I'm these days engrossed in listening to Tina Sani's rendition of Iqbal's famous poem Shikwa, Jawab e Shikwa. Tina Saini with her beautiful voice takes Iqbal's words to a new level. Those who are not well versed in Urdu (I being one of them) will need some help with the translation. In the poem Iqbal is complaining to Allah about how He is indiffernet to the plight of Muslims, and Allah's response is that Muslims themselves are to be blamed for their condition. Very relevant I feel for our time. However, the focus on Muslims is a bit too sectarian for me but I personally would want to expand its scope and take it to mean all of humanity. Iqbal's literary brilliance in this poem remains unsurpassed, and Tina Sani's voice is mesmerising. Please have a listen, and enjoy.

youtu.be/Uk999XIcgxY