Questions on Zakat

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
zinger

Questions on Zakat

Unread post by zinger » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 am

i have a few questions on Zakat

for one, i have grown up believing that when one gives Zakat, one gives it with the intent of paying. one should not be worried or question where it is being used. this is what my mum taught me, that our role is to pay it, not question its usage. is this true?

another question, i know that Zakat cannot be used in the upkeep of a mosque, so where does the zakat that we pay, get used in? again, i know we dont ask for accountability, but this, i ask, out of curiosity

informed responses are most welcome

anajmi

Re: Questions on Zakat

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am

One should absolutely be aware of where zakat is being used. You will be questioned about it and if you have no answer you will be in trouble as with bohras their zakat is used to fill the tummies of the clergy.

Surah Tawbah ayah 60 identifies the 8 categories of recipients of zakah.

These are

The poor (Al-Fuqara’).
The needy (Al- Masakin).
The administrators.
Those whose hearts are to be reconciled; (new Muslims and the friends of the Muslim community).
Those in bondage (slaves and captives).
The debt- ridden.
In the cause of Allah.
The wayfarer; (who are stranded on traveling with few resources).

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:54 pm

anajmi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am One should absolutely be aware of where zakat is being used. You will be questioned about it and if you have no answer you will be in trouble as with bohras their zakat is used to fill the tummies of the clergy.

Surah Tawbah ayah 60 identifies the 8 categories of recipients of zakah.

These are

The poor (Al-Fuqara’).
The needy (Al- Masakin).
The administrators.
Those whose hearts are to be reconciled; (new Muslims and the friends of the Muslim community).
Those in bondage (slaves and captives).
The debt- ridden.
In the cause of Allah.
The wayfarer; (who are stranded on traveling with few resources).
oh... i guess i was misinformed then.. i knew about the 8 categories however.

when you say, you will be questioned, im assuming you mean questioned by Allah SWT, on the day of judgement?

and for the last part, i somehow knew someone was going to say this. my response to this is that i REALLY dont think that Kothar is so corrupt that they would usurp Zakat money too. they can do what they want with Waajebat, Salah Fitra and Sabeel, but i really think that they havent stooped so low yet, as to touch Zakat money, hence my question, where does it get used in our case

you my friend, are no longer a Bohra, so please understand, this question is NOT for you

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 pm

I am surprised that you being a bohra doesn't have an answer to that question ;-)

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:17 am

anajmi wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 pm I am surprised that you being a bohra doesn't have an answer to that question ;-)
does you being a non-Bohra/ex-Bohra mean you have answers to all questions? :roll:

Humsafar

Unread post by Humsafar » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:41 am

zinger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:54 pm oh... i guess i was misinformed then.. i knew about the 8 categories however.

when you say, you will be questioned, im assuming you mean questioned by Allah SWT, on the day of judgement?

and for the last part, i somehow knew someone was going to say this. my response to this is that i REALLY dont think that Kothar is so corrupt that they would usurp Zakat money too. they can do what they want with Waajebat, Salah Fitra and Sabeel, but i really think that they havent stooped so low yet, as to touch Zakat money, hence my question, where does it get used in our case

you my friend, are no longer a Bohra, so please understand, this question is NOT for you
Let me be break it to you brother, yes they are so corrupt and immoral that they would not hesitate to dig up their mother's dead body if they thought there was money buried with it. It is really surprising that after being "enlightened" you could still be so naive. For the mafia clergy money is money, it makes no distinction between zakat, wajebat etc. It grabs whatever comes in with both hands and splurges it on its extravagant and obscene lifestyle. I would give no quarter to this despicable bunch.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:28 pm

zinger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:17 am
anajmi wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 pm I am surprised that you being a bohra doesn't have an answer to that question ;-)
does you being a non-Bohra/ex-Bohra mean you have answers to all questions? :roll:
The reason i am no longer a non-bohra/ex-bohra is because i was able to figure out the answers to all these questions. The reason you are still a bohra is ... perhaps... ignorance?

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 am

Humsafar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:41 am
zinger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:54 pm oh... i guess i was misinformed then.. i knew about the 8 categories however.

Let me be break it to you brother, yes they are so corrupt and immoral that they would not hesitate to dig up their mother's dead body if they thought there was money buried with it. It is really surprising that after being "enlightened" you could still be so naive. For the mafia clergy money is money, it makes no distinction between zakat, wajebat etc. It grabs whatever comes in with both hands and splurges it on its extravagant and obscene lifestyle. I would give no quarter to this despicable bunch.
humsafar bhai, i never claimed to be "enlightened"... or maybe if i said it, i meant it metaphorically that i began to see the truth.

anyways, i really do believe you are perhaps making them to be bigger monsters than they are... but then again, if they are, then so be it... it is they who have to answer Allah SWT on the day of judgement.

anyway, i have the answer to my original question that yes, one must be aware of where zakat money is being used

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:22 am

anajmi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:28 pm
zinger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:17 am

The reason i am no longer a non-bohra/ex-bohra is because i was able to figure out the answers to all these questions. The reason you are still a bohra is ... perhaps... ignorance?
good for you brother. happy for you. no sarcasm, this is me speaking honestly

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:54 am

This is from Surah Yunus ayah 18

And they worship other than Allah that which neither harms them nor benefits them, and they say, “These are our intercessors with Allah ” Say, “Do you inform Allah of something He does not know in the heavens or on the earth?” Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him

So yes, they will answer for their deeds, but so will you. Ignorance isn't your get out of jail free card!

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:48 am

anajmi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:54 am This is from Surah Yunus ayah 18

And they worship other than Allah that which neither harms them nor benefits them, and they say, “These are our intercessors with Allah ” Say, “Do you inform Allah of something He does not know in the heavens or on the earth?” Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him

So yes, they will answer for their deeds, but so will you. Ignorance isn't your get out of jail free card!
you have branched of to a completely different, irrelevant, yet your favourite topic.

i was talking about knowing where Zakat is intended to be used and you moved of to intercessors, as usual, as typical of you

i have my answers, i am considering this conversation closed now. good day :-)

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:34 pm

Actually, the two are connected, but the fact that you do not see the connection is the problem. The reason your Mom said we shouldn't worry about how it is being spent is because she thinks the bohra Dai is going to intercede on her behalf on the day of judgement. That is actually a core bohra belief.

You got the answers. Are you going to do anything with them? Considering that this discussion was closed, i doubt you will. Pity!

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 am

anajmi wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:34 pm Actually, the two are connected, but the fact that you do not see the connection is the problem. The reason your Mom said we shouldn't worry about how it is being spent is because she thinks the bohra Dai is going to intercede on her behalf on the day of judgement. That is actually a core bohra belief.

You got the answers. Are you going to do anything with them? Considering that this discussion was closed, i doubt you will. Pity!
on point 1, yes you are right. either that, or the generation that she is from, she never considered asking questions.

on point 2, i atleast know better now. but you with your holier-than-thou attitude, as usual, assumed the worse in human behaviour.

so the pity is on you, not me

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 am

Knowing and doing nothing about it is not an assumption about bohra behavior, it is a fact.

The question was, are you going to do anything about it? Did you say, this time I am going to give my zakat to the right people? No you are still going to give it to the Dai. Tell me if I am wrong and i will gladly take back my word. You don't even have to show me proof. I will take your word for it.

zinger

Unread post by zinger » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:38 am

anajmi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 am Knowing and doing nothing about it is not an assumption about bohra behavior, it is a fact.

The question was, are you going to do anything about it? Did you say, this time I am going to give my zakat to the right people? No you are still going to give it to the Dai. Tell me if I am wrong and i will gladly take back my word. You don't even have to show me proof. I will take your word for it.
yes my good friend Anajmi, you are absolutely wrong.

i think my words clearly conveyed my intent that now that i know better, i know what the right thing to do is; which is to make sure i find out where my Zakat money is being used

and yet another flawed assumption that you had made was that i paid my Zakat to the Dai. i dont

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:54 pm

Allright. I take it back. Now we can close this conversation.