Need some info about progressives

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
husain

Need some info about progressives

Unread post by husain » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:48 pm

Dear All

I have a couple of questions which someone could answer. I am residing out of india last couple of years so would like to know from someone who is progessive and is residing oustide.

Firstly how do I know whether a bohra is a progressive. Do progressives openly identify themselves ?? Also do they attend the same masjid for namaz and other occassions. Or else how do you manage your ramzan namaz and moharam bayans. Do you pray imamat namaz with normal kothari aamel?? how about yr kids ? Who teaches them namaz and what about misak and other occassions like death and nikah. How do you manage all those. Do you pay sabeel and other dues.

Can someone shed some light on my questions.

Admin

Re: Need some info about progressives

Unread post by Admin » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Pls tell us where do you live outside India, and we can help you get in touch with progressives in that city/country.

husain

Unread post by husain » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:40 pm

salam

At this point of time I am not interested in meeting anyone. I would just like to know the above details if someone can share.

alsojinxed

Unread post by alsojinxed » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:14 am

Salaams Admin,

This actualy brings up an interesting topic.

Would it be possible to consolidate a sort of "progressive jumaat directory" worldwide of people to contact?

This will really be helpful to those of us who travel extensively or even move country.

Granted I do understand that many do not want there names shared, but to those who do - do you have any thoughts into how we could work on a database of sorts?

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:27 pm

Husain,

Yes, progressives identify themselves openly and wherever they are in sizeable numbers they have a jammat/centre of their own. They pray at their own mosques/centres and organise all religious functions. No, they do not have "raza" amils - but there are amils and other learned people who lead the namaz and perform other religious rituals.

Children are give dini taalim by parents where there are no resources, in Udaipur reformist jamaat runs sunday classes to teach namaaz, the Quran, religious rituals, Arabic and Urdu. In the recenly concluded conference in the UK, it was dicided that the Regional Committee will organise similar classes/courses in the UK, Canada and United States.

Yes, all progressives affiliated to a jamaat/centre pay regular zakat, sabeel etc. which is spent on the welfare of the community and upkeep of the properties.

Also, working committees at every jamaat are elected by jamaat members.

Hope this helps.

Alsojinxed,

That is at interesting idea. In fact, the UK progressives have compiled such a list. We’ll see whether we can make it available on the web.

Thank you.

Simpleton

Unread post by Simpleton » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:58 pm

Admin,

How come you have not been able to expose the Canadian Jamaat to the Government of Canada for remitting $2M Dollars out of Canada in the name of Charity, between 2000, 2001 & 2002? Please explain.

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Simpleton,

We are not sure why Canada progressives have not gotten on to this case yet. What we can do is urge them to look into the matter.

Thank you.

Zulu

Unread post by Zulu » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:31 am

test message