Suggestion for Muharram

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
humanbeing

Suggestion for Muharram

Unread post by humanbeing » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:28 am

Many topics are discussed and debated on way of life of bohra community. However as Muharram is approaching I would like to share my idea of how we can give respect and our heartfelt grief for the atrocities inflicted on Imam Hussain.
Expression of Grief :
10 days of Moharram can be spent in austerity instead of show and pomp of grief.

Mumins can fast for any number of days between 1 – 10 days, or Limit to humble dining.

Waaez / Bayans / Sermons can be made impactful by narrating relevant Rivayats / Stories from that era in more simple language. Without too much addition of melodrama, Truth of this rivayats bring tears and sense of compassion in the hearts of Mumin rather than sudden cajoling in the bayan to cry and grief.

Waaez / Bayans can be limited to set time limit (2 hours, in my suggestion) to make it respectful with enough content to pay attention to. What I normally observe in long lasting Bayans is; sleeping audience or playing with mobile phones, chatting, gossiping. Its natural human behavior. Attention span cannot be so long.

I believe Matam is an act of extreme grief and pain. Matams can be more meaningful by its limited application, rather than inciting matams out of context or to fill in the silent spaces during the Waaez / Bayans.

Zaakir-E-Hussain may be vocally trained to sing Marsiyaa in more subtle and melodious tone and voice, rather than yelling in the mike at ful treble and volume. I understand that Zaakirs gets overwhelmed in expressing grief in marisya, but one can notice the emotions from yelling respectively.

Shahadat of Imam Hussain shall be narrated rarely and with utmost compassion, rather than ritualistic end of Waaez / Bayan. I m sorry to say that, Shahadat has become an Alarm / Signal for audience to know that Waaez / Bayan / Majlis has come to an end and one shall prepare to rush for Jaman collecting friends and family to occupy Thaal space !!

Jamans and Sabeels :
Jamans can be normal, subtle, humble and limited, instead of lavish Mithaas, Kharaas and unlimited buffet.

Limited Jaman Quantity will instill a sense of respect for food and patience and empathy towards fellow mumins, as compared to wastage I see after jamans, left over in Thaals. Mumin give respect to grains of rice they would pick from the safraa, but throw away meat pieces, gravies, rotis conveniently.
Subtle, normal and humble dishes ( DCP, Halim, Daal-Rice, Curd-Rice, Bhaaji-Roti) will bring good health to fellow mumins.
Jamans should be provided to all and sundry, not only to Bohra mumins, everyone should be welcomed with respect and hospitality. Jamans should be served equally to all, irrespective of one is a Shehzada, Bhaisaheb, Amil, Ayan, Sheikh, Mulla, NKD, MKD, Commoner or outsider irrespective of religion or faith, I understand this may be too far fetched dream, but It can be possible.

Sabeels should serve water essenced with rose water to one and all, instead of Lavish coldrinks and milk shakes. I rememeber this marsiya–e-Hussain, very touching (“Hey Shio jab Peena Pani, Bhool na Jaana Mujhe…!! )

Austere lifestyle :
Atleast during Moharram, men and women shall not show off nor display pompousness of wealth by heavy jewelery, fancy ridas, and wealthy gossip.
Avoiding such display also helps our fellow Mumins to maintain dignity and avoid any inferiority complex or discontent. Many bohra families cannot afford expensive Ridas and other displays amongst women folks.

Moharram Majlis becomes a bustling venue for money collections, several counters are setup for various scheme collections (Niyaaz-E-Hussain, Dua Ni Araz, Zabihat, Hoob collections, Najwa and other salaams), If any of these collections are necessary even for Nizaam sake, let them be in a enclosed office away from main majlis. Any sincere Mumin who wishes to participate in such Khidmat would voluntary come forward. Jamats can provide access to Administration offices.

PS Note : The above observations, views and suggestions are personal, limited to my experience in Jumats / Majlis / Markaz / Masjids of several cities I have lived in. I request readers to read my post in neutral spirit. If I m wrong in my observation I sincerely apologize for my limited understanding, kindly clarify my misunderstandings. If the suggestions appeals to you, I would be happy to have contributed to discussion on reforms.
Wsalam

Ala maqaam

Re: Suggestion for Muharram

Unread post by Ala maqaam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 am

Agreed with all your points

mashallah may Allah bless you for your efforts.

Ameen

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 am

Br. Humanbeing
Very well said and looking at the people rating your article seems you do have BIPARTISAN support. I hope Kotharis read and take action. The only other thing I would like to add is that there should be 3-5 days of somber period after Ahshura for NO NIKKAH, NO ZIYAFATS AND NO QADAMBOOSI,NO DEEDAR AND NO MEETING DIGNITARIES

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:47 am

add to this the fact that when syedna decides (of course after the hidden imam whispers it into his ear) to hold the ashura 'celebrations' - ashara mubaraka - in exotic foreign venues, then you can very well see the glee on the faces of abdes who welcome the opportunity to visit and see the sights abroad which normally people of their ilk would not venture to do.

the hordes of abdes who descend on these muharram picnic locales present tremendous earning opportunities to hoteliers, restaurants, shopping malls, tourism and travel agents etc, all in the name of hussain and the shohodas of course, who must be so glad that they gave their lives and heads so that future generations of dai's and their abdes could revel on their shahadat anniversaries.

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 am

Dear OB

Thanks ! for your response and appreciation ! I agree with your suggestion of 3 – 5 days of somber period after Ashura ! There are long drawn debates from all sides regarding such events.! In my personal opinion, Ziyafats, Marriages, Inaugurations, Convocations or any other activity deemed as celebration may be avoided. This activities can be conveniently organized during other months. However Its an unending debate !

aflatoon

Unread post by aflatoon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am

good suggestions practically impossible in present scenario as earlier mentioned by al zulfiquar these people are after capitilising martyrdom of imam hussain for personal material gains .

Conscíous

Unread post by Conscíous » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 am

I second that ^^..

humanbeing

Unread post by humanbeing » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Friends

I understand this suggestions are too good to be implemented as per current going ons, Some suggesstion can be implemented in our personal lives. This site / Forum provides an opportunity to reach out to Bohra Community / Muslim Brothers & Sisters, may be not the majority yet !! But something is better than nothing !

I researched on internet for many bohra websites where we can share views and opnions, but I did not find any forum or wall on those websites. Searching bought me to this website and Its very recent I got aware of Reformist existence.

I dont wish to categorize myself as opinionated towards any school of thought ! I wish to be a normal human being seeking a decent life of live and let live philosophy !

I m open to debates, discussion, opinions, POVs.