I was a rural, homeschooled Christian kid. Then I converted ...

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
SBM

I was a rural, homeschooled Christian kid. Then I converted ...

Unread post by SBM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:18 am

I was supposed to be a pastor

I was raised in a conservative Christian home. My father was Catholic; my mother was a Seventh-Day Adventist. A lot of my childhood was spent working at her SDA church, going door to door to hand out literature, or evangelizing at the county fair. While other people were hocking fried food, we would set up our booth with books and pamphlets to help potential converts understand why Seventh-Day Adventism might be right for them.

I went to church every week. I knew a lot about my faith. I could quote scripture from memory and explain the finer points of SDA theology better than many of the adults. They were convinced I'd grow up to be a pastor. I was the kid you see on TV who always wore nice khakis and a polo shirt, the stereotypical "good Christian boy." I went to religious school until the eighth grade. After that, I was homeschooled. My teenage years revolved almost exclusively around my Christian faith, and for the most part I loved it.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/17/9156507/ch ... im-convert

dal-chaval-palidu

Re: I was a rural, homeschooled Christian kid. Then I converted ...

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 am

Subhanallah.

alam

Re: I was a rural, homeschooled Christian kid. Then I converted ...

Unread post by alam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Quite an interesting journey to conversion to Islam, with numerous encounters with prejudice and bigotry along the way. Ignorance combined with inflated sense self importance is at the root of the excesses performed in the name of religion.