Why do Muslims focus on the stuff that divides us

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.
GreatBarrier

Why do Muslims focus on the stuff that divides us

Unread post by GreatBarrier » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:43 pm

This topic is intended to be different from that posted by Ghualm Mohamed where I am proposing that if we cannot unite lets learn to tolerate and move forward.

I struggle to understand why Sunni Shia and Wahabbis spend so much effort on focussing on the stuff that differentiates the various theologies that at times are driven to take one anothers lives for it.

As a modern day re-convert to Islam I like all the major faiths as I respect the contributions by the Panjatan, the first Ashabas and Khalifa's to the foundation of Islam. I appreciate the Wahabi teachnings of avoiding pagan rituals and belief in the spirit of Allah to avoid Shirk but as a guidance but not compulsion.

However all the faiths at times go overboard and become intolerant of the other. For example I have at time experienced appreciation from strict Sunnis of my denial to criticise Abukakr AS, Umar AS but sooner than later they end up criticising the Shia practises of Matam and thereafter the realtionship becomes suspicious where I am aware of his/her preaching conversion and vice versa when I am with strong IthnaAsheris or Wahabi's.

Can we have comments why we can not live and practise a hybrid for our long term survival as long as we all agree and accept the 5 pillars of Islam, the rest is left to the individual ?

The reason I am treating unique practicies or flavours in Isalm as secondary is because we all agree it is only Quran which is devinely protected for its source of truth however a lot of Sunnah's and teachnings are based on human written records and could be influenced by the civilisation and environment when written or updated, even if witnessed by multiple scholars.

I do understand the written records are important to provide traceability of our recorded history but should not be used as a basis of determining and defining a persons faith religion or survival.

Some of the diffrences are so poisonous that enemies of Islam and power hungry groups have used to deminish our collective strenghts and valuable youth have been lost to fighting one another. Is the failure to observe secondary practises so sinfull that it will send a soul to Hell and why do the other conservative muslims get so possesive and intolerant.

jawanmardan

Re: Why do Muslims focus on the stuff that divides us

Unread post by jawanmardan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:01 am

Generally speaking I believe the Sunni are more open-minded than say Shia, as they are the majority and feel less under threat, the legacy of Kabala, and Muharram has come to play a significant part of the Shi'a mindset of victimhood, ludicrous because the last 20 years of Shia political success in the Middle East; and talk of a "Shia Empire" from the Gulf to the Mediterranean.

The Salafi (Wahabbi) ideology was foundered by defining themselves against the older established ideologies Shia, Sufi, Sunni. When your definition of identity is by being against others it becomes harder to embrace others as your fellow believers.

Both because of oil, and a decline in the established Madhab scholarship and because of the lack of democratic alternative to ordinary peoples aspirations; has all contributed to their spectacular growth across the muslim world

And there we come to it, a political alternative, Arab Nationalism failed; Nassers assassination was the first nail in the coffin, Saddams Iraq was one of the last few dinosaurs, only Syria is left and it has become reliant on theocratic Iran. People have since the 1970s been turning to religion because they have no public outlet for expression; and the more frustrated they become the more extreme a form of religion they adopt.

When ones sole form of identity is religion it becomes much harder to accept diversity and pluralism, your always looking for the insurgents, the deviators, and innovators (says a lot how thats become a dirty word for Muslims), the irony here is that both the Salafism/Wahabbism, and to an extent Ayotollah Khomeni are highly innovated modern renderings of Islam.

Unity becomes something tangible but only when everyone belongs to your group which of course they never will, particularly when everyone feels like everyone else is pointing the finger.

Hide from it all! :D

GreatBarrier

Re: Why do Muslims focus on the stuff that divides us

Unread post by GreatBarrier » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 am

Today, both Sunni and Shi'a students graduate from the Al-Azhar university which also teaches regarding both doctrines and uses certain Shi'a material in its courses. (See List of Shia books). On July 6, 1959, Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot -the head of the al-Azhar Theological school- announced the al-Azhar Shia Fatwa

#Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh'hab (school of thought). Rather, we say: every Muslim has the right to follow one of the schools of thought which has been correctly narrated and its verdicts have been compiled in its books. And, everyone who is following such Madhahib [schools of thought] can transfer to another school, and there shall be no crime on him for doing so.The Ja'fari school of thought, which is also known as "al-Shia al-Imamiyyah al-Ithna Ashariyyah" (i.e., The Twelver Imami Shi'ites) is a school of thought that is religiously correct to follow in worship as are other Sunni schools of thought.

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi has made differing statements on the matter, and seems to have changed his stance on Shi'ism as he acquired more knowledge on the topic:

"Let it be known to all that the Shi`ah are Muslims who believe in the Oneness of Allah and the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).Yes, there is no doubt that the Shi`ah have their beliefs and dogmas which we condemn as heresy but this doesn’t make them non-Muslims."(August 17, 2006) [ [http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Sate ... 9503544230 Shi`ites & Sunnis: Time for Unity - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar ] ]

"He pointed out that he travelled to Iran around 8 years ago and met with former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami and was received enthusiastically. And he told the Shia scholars there that if there is to be a true discussion and unity amongst us it is necessary for a number of things to be fully stopped, such as your saying that the Quran in our hands is altered and that the Mushaf Faatemah is an addition to this Quran, and the constant insults upon the Sahaabah, May Allah be pleased with them . And it is beyond imagination that I would say Abu Bakr, Radhia Allahu Anhu, and you say, La'anahu Allah, this is totally unacceptable. Also to stop consistently talking about Ali's higher right to Khilaphah, for all of them have died and the matter is finished, and that Umar bin Abdul Aziz was asked on the past conflict between Ali and Muawiyah and the blood in this conflict, he said that Allah has cleansed our hands from this blood so why should we soil our tongues with it."(September 3, 2006) [ [http://www.alwatan.com.sa/daily/2006-09 ... ture01.htm Qaradawi: Shias have penetrated Egypt and Hassan Nasrallah is an extremist (i.e. ghalli) Shia]